Excessive panting and restlessness during the evening

It's been interesting reading about your little fellow... giving me flashbacks to Snap's puppyhood. I thought I could wear him out. Little did I understand then that a high drive dog has a hard time giving up the ghost.

Good suggestions from earlier posters.
 
What a beautiful girl. She looks big in pics. How big is she?
My Maverick is 16 inches and 26 lbs. Well since puppy I think he has gained a few pounds with all the treating.
Ryder is suppose to be some where between 16 and 17 inches full grown. He was grown for show but was going to be too big.
My Maverick is not AKC registered. I believe that he has border collie in him. He was the runt of the litter at his size.
 
Yes kong with PB bought me about 20 minutes. Frozen was such a good idea!!! I never thought of this before. My older guy just got the PB w/o freezing and he could get through that in about 3 minutes
 
He settles in his crate for half an hour during meal time. So he is usually up from 7:30 until 10PM. It is easier when my husband is here. We have a big play time out side for about half and hour. He is usually tired after that but restless. I try to get him interested in chews or I try to hold him and rub his belly which he tolerates for longer now. I have given up on watching any TV before 10PM. The upside is that he goes to bed from 10PM until 8AM with out a peep.
 
He will grow out of it. Sca had a time that he would be stumbling around almost looking for something. He would also just walk over and bite the couch when got like that. The period he does that has declined.

On another time waster I got a ball you can put cookies in and the slowly fall out. I don't use the Kong ones though. This occupies him for longer than peanut butter though he does come over and want me to toss it at times (they are more likely to fall out)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750599 (his is red though)
 
Yes I thought of the food thing but I am thinking it would be hard to manage with both dogs. My older one is a Velcro and is mostly where I am. He is fine on his own if I am not around...no separation anxiety...loves daycare etc. Maverick the older one understands leave it. but puppy wants ONLY what Maverick has!!!! Thats why its hard to occupy him with chew toys. He takes what ever Maverick has, Maverick lets him have it, Maverick finds something else, Ryder takes that too. When Maverick gives up and just falls a sleep then Ryder is not interested in the chew toys now his mission is to bug Maverick. My mission then becomes trying to entertain puppy so to leave Maverick alone whom is just exhausted!!!
 
Yes I thought of the food thing but I am thinking it would be hard to manage with both dogs. My older one is a Velcro and is mostly where I am. He is fine on his own if I am not around...no separation anxiety...loves daycare etc. Maverick the older one understands leave it. but puppy wants ONLY what Maverick has!!!! Thats why its hard to occupy him with chew toys. He takes what ever Maverick has, Maverick lets him have it, Maverick finds something else, Ryder takes that too. When Maverick gives up and just falls a sleep then Ryder is not interested in the chew toys now his mission is to bug Maverick. My mission then becomes trying to entertain puppy so to leave Maverick alone whom is just exhausted!!!

The story of my life, this is Ginny exactly. Sadie is such a wonderful big sister and so patient with Ginny that it frustrated me to no end to see Ginny doing this.

Going to puppy class helped us a lot with handling Ginny. Because it allowed us one on one time with her we were able to bond with her and she was more inclined to want to spend some time with us, instead of just with Sadie. Trainer her also helped her to learn her place in the house, with us anyway. Even though she still wanted to steal from Sadie all the time, she became inclined to listen when she was reprimanded.

This is more or less what we did with her outside of puppy class training.

We gave Sadie a 'safe' place to lie and chew on her toys/bones where Ginny couldn't reach her. We put an old blanket down on a couch and let her bring her toy up there. Ginny was/is very small and couldn't get onto the couch without help.

When Ginny took toys from Sadie, we'd calmly and immediately take her by the collar, say 'NO!' and give her a short time out (10-15 seconds). We did this each time she took something from Sadie. Eventually she realized she'd get a reprimand and stopped doing it...in front of us anyway. Ginny is much better now and will allow Sadie to have things as long as we're there, which is a huge improvement since they're never alone uncrated. We also taught her the 'Drop It' command so that when she took something from Sadie we could eventually tell her to drop it, and she would. She knows what she's doing. As soon as we say her name now when she's stollen from Sadie, she immediately drops it and backs off.

The other thing that we did and still do is crate Ginny more than Sadie. This gives Sadie time off from the harassment, helps us to establish Sadie as dog #1 and gives us a break from watching Ginny. This has been suggested to us by two dog trainers. Some nights we'd put her to bed as early as 9pm. Get her up around 10-11 for one last potty break then back in the crate she'd go. It didn't affect what time she got up in the morning, so long as we let her out one more time.

Actively implement NILIF. Also very important. Ginny doesn't get so much as a pat without working for it, even if she just has to lie down.

I've learned that being soft on bossy dogs will do nothing but give them the upper 'paw.' Ginny is so tiny and cute that it was and still is VERY hard to reprimand her and believe that she knew EXACTLY what she was doing, but she did and still does.

How could this little face and 4 lbs. of fluff purposely be bad?

http://picasaweb.google.com/OntarioSheltie/Ginny?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbF5Oq0wPGbfw#5390574884656427778

Ginny at 6 months old. She isn't very much bigger or taller now but still manages to boss Sadie around, who literally weighs twice as much.

http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=192&pictureid=2104
 
Last edited:
Too funny? If Maverick really wants stuff back he will take it. Not aggressively but he gets it back. They taunt each other to take things from each other...its their game:lol: Some times Maverick is too tired and does not want to play that game but just wants to chew on his chew. When Ryder takes it he just falls a sleep. We also do the couch thing:lol:but Ryder, also too small to get up, puts his front paws on couch, bites Mavericks feet and barks and barks:lol:
You are right about the bossy puppy. I will definitely start to teach him not to take Mavericks toys when Maverick is too tired for the game. Maverick does put him in his place but he is also very patient. The last few days Ryder has made Maverick yelp during wrestling. He pulls his ears really hard. Maverick tells him off but I think that I will start giving him a time out as well.
Thanks for all your input
And yes it is very lonely with out family, friends, and my husband travels a lot!!! So its just me and the boys quite a lot
 
Back
Top