Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fearful sheltie question

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Spirit, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Nancy Epps

Nancy Epps Forums Novice

Oct 30, 2019
    My s
    My shelty is 8 months old I bought him from a puppy store later to find out he came from a Amish puppy mill in Montana. Since I have had him by he is petrified of canes and umbrellas. He will run full force jump on my lap shake his heart is beating so fast. My husband has Ms and has a cane so evertimEv he gets up we go through this. I am hiring a trainer. My husband loves him. I think personally alot of these puppies that where born in these Mills go through this. I personally kiss him pet him rub him hold him in my arms to comfort him reward him with dog treats. All I can say is love him. I have waited for over 25 years to get a dog and my shelty at that I just hope that the trainer can help if not just continue loving my baby

jomuir, Ann and Hanne like this.
  2. Nancy Epps

Nancy Epps Forums Novice

Oct 30, 2019
    My husband is home all the time.he is 8 months old and he is afraid of the cane.he dosent bite nip he panics jumps on my lap . He came from a puppy store and breed in a Amish puppy mill in Montana

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I think your going to have to work really hard to get him used to the cane. You'll have to slowly desensitize him to it. Give lots of treats while the cane is close by. Id start by having the cane near him on the floor or couch and give treats. Then use the cane to slowly rub his fur (like petting) while giving treats and telling him what a good boy he is. Slowly work up to this. Whenever your husband gets up (be prepared in advance) give him treats and pet him and talk to him reassuringly. Work through this and eventually he'll get over his anxiety. The key is to go slow and don't rush . I use rods for obedience training and I had to get them used to coming to me without wanting to go after them (they were extended in front of me) and this is what I did. It'll take a while but just take your time and always have a bag of treats handy, as you never know when your husband will have to get up.

4. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Everything Piper's mom writes is so true, but the words above
    -are so important to remember when one is losing hope.

But don't give up a Sheltie with bad experiences have so much to deal with
    - it will take time, but when you come out on the other side
    - you will experience so much love from this little soul :hugs

A link to us new Sheltie owners so we may better understand this little sensitive breed.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

5. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI

Piper's mom and TheDailyPainter like this.