Feeding Times & Walks

No set time for breakfast (they dont get much anyway). But I always aim for 6.30pm for dinner. In cooler weather it means we go out for a walk before they eat and in summer we go out after dinner (when its cooler). Only difficulty is that initial cross over period when daylight savings starts and ends.

I think the dogs appreciate a set time for dinner. They know when its coming and dont go begging for it before hand. Its only a problem if we are late for dinner, then they get a bit narky.
 
No set time for breakfast (they dont get much anyway). But I always aim for 6.30pm for dinner. In cooler weather it means we go out for a walk before they eat and in summer we go out after dinner (when its cooler). Only difficulty is that initial cross over period when daylight savings starts and ends.

I think the dogs appreciate a set time for dinner. They know when its coming and dont go begging for it before hand. Its only a problem if we are late for dinner, then they get a bit narky.

Narky....no way! Not our shelties..they are never hungry!:biggrin2:
 
I think the dogs appreciate a set time for dinner. They know when its coming and dont go begging for it before hand. Its only a problem if we are late for dinner, then they get a bit narky.


See that the thing when your dogs don't know dinner is coming then never beg for it.:biggrin2: When I was working sometimes I get home at 7 and sometimes not till 9.
 
no set time and the rule is Che has to earn his meals so off we go as soon as we wake up, we go for nice long walk/ jog weather permitting, then breakfast for both of us.... dinner depends on classes, who is home and when we went to pooch park... we always try to feed AFTER extensive play...
 
We have a loose schedule. She gets fed mostly in the morning after the kids are on the bus and off to school - I put her breakfast in a tricky treat ball. Unless we are going to training class, in which case she gets NO breakfast.

Dinner for her used to be after we ate, but now I just do it when it's most convenient, usually before the humans or while it is still light outside.

She does not beg, which is great, but sometimes I leave her food on the counter to thaw (and sometimes our own meat for dinner) and she stands near the counter and barks at it!
 
My boys are usually fed at about 7:00 AM and then again when I get home from work in the evening somewhere between 7:00PM and 9:00PM. We don't walk at all right now. Everything is ice covered and slippery. In warmer months we walk in mid afternoon and usually at night just before dark when the days are longer. If it is really hot we walk only at night. We have a large fenced in yard where they can go out and run so they get plenty of exercise even if we can't get the walks in.
 
We feed breakfast between 6:30 and 7. The cat actually tells us it's time...and there's no ignoring him! Depending on the weather, we try to squeeze in a little walk in the morning with Lexi, normally after breakfast.

For lunch, Lexi eats at 2:30, and Bentley just gets a flossie. Sometimes I will take Lexi for a walk and feed her lunch on the walk.

They both eat dinner at 6:30. At 6:20 they start staring at me and giving me the look!
 
so, for those who are feeding lunch to their pups (3 meals/day)- at what age do you switch over to just breakfast and dinner?
 
I originally switched at 4 months. Bailey had a sensitive stomach and needed to gain weight, so I had to put her back on 3 meals a day. Once she gained weight and we found the right food, she was back to 2 meals at about 6 months old.
 
Back
Top