Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Finnie went to the chiropractor

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Piper's mom, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Spoke to the vet and she said it 'could' be a disc but short of doing an MRI there's no way of knowing. She did say however that it wouldn't be intermittent as it has been, he'd be in pain ALL the time. Said to keep going slow, resting him LOTS and continue the Robaxin. She is giving me 40 tablets, should last us about a month...hopefully that'll be enough. Finnie goes back for another massage on January 13th and every week after that.

Hanne, ghggp and Ann like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor Finnie. I agree. If it was a disc it would be painful all the time. Hopefully, the massage and Chiropractor adjustments will do the trick with rest and meds! You are doing everything to keep him healthy!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I agree Gloria. Especially because of the way he acts when I come home from work in the evening...jumping on me constantly, jumping on the counter (feeding time lol), playing with Piper...there's no way he'd be doing all this if it was a disc. At least there has been an improvement and I know now not to push him too much. I was able to do some heeling with him yesterday with no ill effects, he just can't do any recalls or jumps (anything that requires him to push off).
    Last night I was going to have him sleep in the big dog bed on the floor and have the bed all to myself lol. I sent him to his bed and got into mine and got comfy to watch tv. Perhaps 10 minutes later I see him from the corner of my eye...he'd gotten up and was wandering around forlornly. Poor guy...so much for having the bed to myself.

RikyR, Ann, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Big big big improvement this past week! It's been so incredibly frustrating to see Finnie continually experiencing problems with that hind leg, especially considering the length of time that's passed since the initial injury. Looking back I really think he pulled a muscle and since then he's been compensating, his other muscles were getting tight and the problem continued. So 3 days ago I thought maybe Finnie needs some physio...some stretching to help to loosen his muscles? Every day (several times a day) I stretch both his back legs back so his muscle gets a really good stretch and today we went for a walk (not too long, he hasn't had one in quite awhile) and he did fantastic! Running ahead the entire way and of course he found a stick and he was happier than a pig in you know what. Made my day!
    Then later today, I was laying on the bed petting Piper and Finnie got jealous and quickly jumped on the bed...he hasn't done this in over 3 weeks! I was so happy!!! Finally progress!

corbinam, DianeP, Calliesmom and 3 others like this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lisa so nice to hear :yes:

yes, We can not help, but think all the time
    "what can it be ? what can i try to help ?"
    and then you were so lucky it helped :fl

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I'd just been at my wits end Hanne...he's been on muscle relaxants for just over 2 weeks, Meloxicam for 2 weeks and it's been so intermittent. He won't do stairs outside because he's now afraid of banging and hurting himself and he won't walk around in the yard because of it either. He's always been overly sensitive but this has been making him afraid of everything.
    When I'd told the vet his intercostal muscles were tight she said is that the cause or a symptom? That's what got me thinking maybe he pulled a muscle and he's been compensating and THATS why they're tight? I know when I've pulled muscles and done Physio after a few days they give you exercises to do because you need to get the muscles back into shape. I just wish I'd thought of this sooner... Poor guy, he is absolutely the most happy go lucky boy and to see him not wanting to run and play with Piper is killing me.

Hanne and ghggp like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wonderful idea! I would have never thought to do it!
    Let’s hope he is on the mend for good now!!!

Ok Finnie...
    no more scaring mom!!

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  8. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    I am a little confused here. You have referred a couple of times to an intercostal muscle 'pull' or sprain. The intercostal muscles are the ones between the ribs. A pulled intercostal might make breathing a little painful, but would not have any effect, as far as I can imagine, on the hind legs. Which muscles are the chiropractor working on and are you massaging - back, hind legs , or ribs?

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    The massage therapist referred to his intercostal being tight, she told me (because I have no knowledge of muscles lol) that they're along the ribs and towards his pelvis I think? I'm just doing range of motion stretches with his back legs extending them back while he's laying down. The vet wasn't able to find any inflammation when he'd hurt himself. He was running after a ball, yelped and lifted his right hind leg and has continued to do this intermittently, mostly whenever he pushes off occasionally he will lift his left leg. Meanwhile he will jump up with excitement but won't jump on bed or outside steps, he wasn't even venturing out in the yard to sniff or anything. I've been at my wits end trying to figure this out but the range of motion really seems to be helping (I really think he pulled a muscle and since then has been compensating and THATS why his muscles are tight) as 2 days ago he jumped on the bed and yesterday an occasional chair. This has been going on for a month and he's seen our vet twice with no success at her being able to find ANY sore spot.

Hanne likes this.