First Season?

In case your vet didn't mention it, don't take her for walks. You are okay to ex her in the yard but you don't want to attract the local doggie lotharios. Once she is finished her season watch her for signs of pyometra. Usually seen a few weeks after her season and can be as little as drinking more, lethargy or vomiting. I also don't bathe in season bitches. I don't want to introduce bacteria into the area. You'll get through it and hopefully she will be a clean bitch - cleaning herself often and not much hits the floor.
 
I know about the walking :lol: but have to ask if pyometra is more common following a first heat? (this will be the ONLY heat, believe me!). As to the bathing--so far she's keeping herself clean. I haven't even had to use the 'pants' yet, although she has a beautiful pair in purple flowers waiting in the wings :wink2:
 
I know about the walking :lol: but have to ask if pyometra is more common following a first heat? (this will be the ONLY heat, believe me!). As to the bathing--so far she's keeping herself clean. I haven't even had to use the 'pants' yet, although she has a beautiful pair in purple flowers waiting in the wings :wink2:

It is very very rare but can happen. Youngest, I have seen was a 1yr Chi,first heat. Suprised the heck out of me.

Ah on the pants, Diva used hers 1 day and then if she is on my bed. I put up with alot but yuck. :lol:
 
Natalie was diagnosed with open pyometra after her first heat just as she was ready to be spayed. She was almost 10 months. The only symptom: wetting in the house. I had to change my bed I don't know how many times because that is where she went.
 
My rule of thumb is to be careful no matter if it is the first heat or not. While it may not be the most common thing to happen during a first heat, the possiblity is there and the resulting pyometra can be fatal, especially if it is a closed pyometra.
 
Back
Top