Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

First time at groomer - suggestions on what to say to groomer?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by k9kreationz, Jun 14, 2018.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I'm sure I'll expect more and give more advice next time around. I was just soooo worried I'd come back with shaved dogs, or dogs without guard hairs or pants or well, you get the point. I realize it's not a lot, but for my first time, yeah, I'll take a non-chopped dog. Haha.

Hopefully I can build a good relationship with her and teach her how to groom Sheltie's properly. LOL.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I tell my groomer that the only thing she’s allowed to trim are feet. Nothing else! I’ve been burned before and just don’t trust anymore.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- start out slow and work up to the grooming that you really want. after some of the horror grooming stories posted here, it will take a lot before I let someone else work on mine....
    when Cranberry was a puppy, there was a groomer at the local Petsmart that had shelties- I let her do Cran and Callie but no one has been back there since she doesn't work there anymore. I do have a friend that is a groomer but where she works is really out of the way for us.........