Fish Oil Capsules

Yep, we just use the Costco kind, it's very cheap. They eat the capsules right up in their food, no fuss no mess! Ally's coat has gotten so soft. The combination of VP Joint and Muscle and the fish oil has made a big difference.

Sharon
 
Fish Oil

Nevis gets regular fish oil tablets purchased where they are on sale or the best value (Costco/Sam's).

I was told to check the label for specific species of fish used, with no marine lipids;look for guaranteed toxic free product and to calculate for a balanced ratio of 8 omega and 3 fatty acids .

She's eats with her food and has no fish breathe. She looks great, too.



Oona
& Nevis
 
Typing error on fish oil

I should have written that there should be a balanced ratio of 8 omega three fatty acids (add up omega 3 listed on label)

Oona
 
FYI, I've been taking fish oil for quite a while now, and have done my research.

1. The capsules are usually x mg fish oil, 800, 1000, etc. That is pretty much useless information, as there are other things in the capsule than the Omega-3's that you want.

2. Look for the EPA/DHA mg's, per tablet. That is the critical information you want. Most of the 1000 mg fish oil tablets only have 200-300 mg of EPA/DHA, sometimes thats the total of both combined.

3. You really want molecularly distilled, as that cuts down on the fish taste (burps), and has the most heavy metals removed.

4. Trader Joe's has some of the highest concentration caps, "Omega-3 Fatty Acids", with either a blue or red label, as shown here: http://www.google.com/search?q=trad...ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBIQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=814

5. Salon Oil seems like a good alternative or variety to use, however be aware that farm raised Salmon has 10x the PCB's, etc, and you want to try to get a moelcularly distilled product if there is one.

I use the red label as there are 400 mg EPA and 200 mg DHA per capsule. Been taking 2-3 2x/day for 6-8 months, and a lot of prior back/spine injury aches and pains have basically disappeared. Several weeks ago I ran out and basically forgot to hit TJ's to get more and blew it off. Been a lot more aches and pains that have reminded me why I had been taking them.

Cod liver oil is also high in Omega 3's, however it also has a lot of Vitamin A, which is fat soluble and easy to over do and cause viatminosis.

Carlsons in the most well known brand of Omega 3 aside from TJ's, though I think it may be quite a bit more expensive.

I'd bought the Costco 400 cap bottle on sale for $10 after making a mistake reading their ingredient. I think they are half the strength (300mg EPA/DHA combined/cap), and I got tired of taking 5-7 2x/day and went back to TJ's. But for the puppy, I think I will go get some and give him 1x/meal.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11072245




I should have written that there should be a balanced ratio of 8 omega three fatty acids (add up omega 3 listed on label)

Oona
 
I give Lexi salmon oil capsules I get from Trader Joe's. 1000MG 250 capsules for $7.99. One for her two for me! She has the prettiest coat! I used to cut them open and squeeze them into her food. A friend told me her dogs just munch them down. So I tried it, and so does Lexi. That is soooo much easier! And bonus...no more oil stains on my shirts from uncontrolled fish oil squirting!!!!

Does the weight of the dog have an impact in the mg/tablet/dosage? I used to give the Costo brand to our dogs a long time ago..different dogs back then...and have forgotten the proper dosages recommended for puppers. I've been using the pump style salmon oil for our three, but to pop them a capsule would be much less expensive.
 
Gawd I wish Miko would munch it down. I tried it once, he basically popped it in his mouth and it went all over the place. Gross. I now get to shove it down his throat daily (poor thing).

Dawn (with Gypsy), do you know if non-k/d dogs need the same supps as k/d dogs?

I just read the Consumer Reports. I thought you'd guys might find this interesting.
Kirkland Signature (costco) didn't meet the enteric-coating claim
Nordic Naturals (which cost a lot!) had spoilage
The following had 1 or 2 samples above CA PCB limits: CVS Natural, Sundown Naturals, Nature's Bounty Odorless, GNC Triple Organic.
The cheapest was Spring Valley (walmart), then Finest Natural (walgreens).

I give Miko the Costco brand found here. Miko is a kidney disease (k/d) dog and we're supposed to supplement them with 1000 mg combined EPA/DHA for every 20lbs. And you're supposed to balance out the Omega 6 and 3's. Not sure if it matters for non-k/d dogs though, so just throwing this out there. They also suggest NOT to use cod liver oil. The Costco brand I bought was supposedly a good oil and there's a combined EPA/DHA of 684. Most don't have that much.

Something to remember for those that open them up and put it on their food, they lose their potency when you do that. Ditto with the pumps. But IMHO, whatever works. lol. Like I said, I literally have to shove a pill down Miko's throat daily. I'm sure he dislikes it as much as I do.

Not sure if it's helped or what, but I sure hope it helps my k/d boy.
 
Fish Oil Question

I was wondering why everyone supplements with fish oil? Is it for the coats or a dietary supplement?
I have wondered about giving it to Mikos, Brie and JP.
 
In combination with VP Joint and Muscle, it has put an end to Asta's occasional limping. She has some arthritis in her wrist. Lucky me, both mine just gobble up the capsule. The first time, they bit it and it squirted, but now they just inhale it whole. :yes:
 
Back
Top