Fish Oil ????

... Then said to give her also two brewers yeast tablets a day. I personally never heard of this.

What do you all say? I think I trust you way more than him.

The brewers yeast is good for skin and fur, it strengthens the immune system, helps skinny dogs to get back in good physical condition and last but not least - it repels insects such as ticks. You can get it in form of tablets or powder. The combination of salmon oil and brewers yeast is often recommended if a dog has dandruff and/or poor quality fur. Though it doesn't smell and taste any good :ick
 
Fish oil

I gave my Sheltie one capsule of fish oil per day in his food. His coat was smooth and soft, and also good for his heart. I loved the difference in his skin condition too. Naturally good for him.
 
Fish oil is definitely the same whether its a dog brand or human brand.

I have to look for specific kinds with lots of EPA/DHA in it. In a 1,000 mg pill, most fish oils only have a combined EPA/DHA of about 300...or less. I give my dog Costco brand, lol. It's cheap, good (from what I've read), contains almost 700 EPA/DHA (way higher than even the super expensive brands too).

But all this just depends on what you need out of the fish oil. ;)

I will say one thing.....a pump (must be refrigerated) is great, but fish oil breaks down once it hits the air. Pills are better, but some dogs just won't take it (those suckers are huge!). I have to cut mine open for my dog. I figure it's better to lose some potency than him not take it at all. Oh, and he gets 2,400 mg a day (but he is more of a special case, lol).

Wow, that's a lot of parenthesis.
 
I have to look for specific kinds with lots of EPA/DHA in it. In a 1,000 mg pill, most fish oils only have a combined EPA/DHA of about 300...or less. I give my dog Costco brand, lol. It's cheap, good (from what I've read), contains almost 700 EPA/DHA (way higher than even the super expensive brands too).

I'm gonna have to look into the Costco brand fish oil. Bailey still has dry skin on her head by her left ear. The vet told me I can increase her fish oil intake. When I run out I'll buy costco's 700 epa/dha.
 
Just a recommendation... if your dog is currently not on fish oil and you're going to start using it or you're increasing the dosage, introduce it gradually.

Yesterday morning, I increased my dog from one pill to two pills, which my vet said I can do because of her dry skin.

For the first time since I lived in my new house, she pooped all over my room. It was a great surprise to come home to. :ick When I walked her last night she pooped liquid and woke me up at midnight to go again.

I gave her a little brown rice and chicken baby food this morning with no fish oils. I thought about fasting her for 24 hours, but last time I did that she threw up bile. Plus, she is on medication so I wanted a little food in her belly. Hopefully, she is back to normal today. I'll do chicken baby food for dinner tonight as well.
 
Back
Top