Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Floppy ears or pointy?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by kayla, Apr 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I don't know at what age it's too late, but when one of Asta's ears started to stand up a bit her breeder told me to just put some chewed up chewing gum on the tip to weigh it down. It stuck well to the hair and she didn't seem to mind it at all, and it worked. I have had 2 with natural tips, one with just the slightest tip (more like a curve, LOL) Brooke's ears were taped by her breeder and are on top of her head and tipped, and Faith has prick ears with wild ear hairs that just match her personality. :)

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca and Spitfire are prong ears and Angus is a properly tipped. It had largely set when I got him so no credit goes to me. I like his look. However when the Orange Horror is clean with trimmed ear he has this black ring on the edge of his ears that is super cool looking. In the end I would probably go prong ear just for ease and knowing I will not show. But it is all good.

Oh and Sca had this dignified look going and his ears matched him perfectly in my biased opinion.

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    That's the technique I used too. Works really well, unless you have more than one Sheltie.

Poor little Tully, I'd come home from work and her little head would be sopping wet from where Deska had spent the day licking the chewing gum off her ears (hint here - don't use sugar free gum as it has xylitol). Needless to say, Tully has prick ears - I decided subjecting her to Deska every day wasn't worth it. Tully is just sooo beautiful though- I tell her maybe it is just as well she doesn't have floppy ears because her beauty would be just too much for the world to cope with and all the other dogs in the world wouldn't stand a chance.:wink2: I don't tell her really I wish she did have floppy ears.

Tully birthday.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    I prefer the look with tipped ears. My sheltie will be soon 1 year old and I still put patafix in her ears because now one ear is tipped and the other not so much. Her siblings have naturally tipped ears but her ears are very persistent. :gaah

5. NLadybug

NLadybug Forums Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Glue? I don't know about that, I just taped a dime to each ear, and they tipped so cute.

6. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    What a beautiful girl!!!