Godspeed, Cayman

Chris

Premium Member
It is with great sorrow that I share that Cayman, beloved Sheltie boy of Eryn, went to Rainbow Bridge early Saturday morning. Eryn has spent every moment she could with her dear boy, who lived his life alert and gallant up to the end. Despite the challenges of his cancer, he played, loved and bound new friends together. His legacy lies with the people he loved, the friendships that blossomed and thrived because of him, and the boundless loved he had for his Mom Eryn.

I believe all our prayers were heard and answered -- Cayman spent his sunset days living, bringing happiness and sharing joy. We can ask no more, for life itself is a miracle. :sadsmile:
 
I so sorry Chris. I know how hard it can be to lose your furbaby. I'm sure that he had the best family he could ever have found with you!!! May St. Francis pray for both of you and God give you peace.
 
I so sorry Chris. I know how hard it can be to lose your furbaby. I'm sure that he had the best family he could ever have found with you!!! May St. Francis pray for both of you and God give you peace.

I'll pass on your kind words to Eryn. Just to be clear, Cayman belongs to Eryn, who spent some time on the forum with us before Cayman became s ill. She and I have become dear friends, and I posted this because I wanted everyone to know about her loss.::sadsmile:
 
Please give our sympathy to Eryn, Chris. Many of us know what a difficult loss this is, and we are thinking about her. Thank you for sharing the news with us so eloquently.
 
I feel your pain

Eryn,
I can feel your pain. I lost my sweetie 3 months ago and I just got another. Not to replace her, but to ease the pain. A new puppy is a lot of work but I have a lot of love to give and can think of no better way to ease my pain. Good luck and hang in there.
 
I'm so sorry to read this. Eryn please know that all of us are thinking of you and that Cayman is not alone as he waits for you at the bridge. He has many sheltie buddies to keep him company. He knows how much you loved him and would not want you to be sad but to be happy that you had such a wonderful life with him. Sending you hugs to help get through this difficult time.

Thanks for the update Chris. I'm sure that Eryn is so happy to have you as a friend.
 
OH my...My heart goes out to all who are having to deal with the loss of Cayman. I too lost a pupper to Cancer....our monster was Lymphoma. He was only 3. The happy memories have a way of drowning out the sorrow...but it takes time.
 
Last edited:
RIP Cayman

You fought as hard a fight as you could. Eryn, I have words that can comfort you except, please know that my heartfelt prayers and thoughts are with you at this very difficult time. My heart breaks for you because you did a great job at giving Cayman every chance for halting the Cancer. :cry:
I'm really hearbroken for you. His memories live on and he is out of pain and is romping painlessly at the bridge with all of our Sheltie Angels. God Bless and comfort you Eryn.
Thank you Chris for letting us know about Cayman, You are a True friend !
 
Cayman's Passing

Dear Friends,

Cayman's nasal tumor erupted early on Saturday morning. He laid to rest in my arms at 6am in the emergency room. It is in his honor that I share this with you.

Cayman was my first and only dog. A Christmas puppy in 1997 from my partner, Michael, shortly after I graduated from Smith College as a clinical social worker. My partner struggled with alcoholism that left me feeling lonely. He blessed me with Cayman. A sable sheltie who had been shipped to Anchorage from a puppy mill in Missouri who was barely six weeks old, had huge eyes and was nearly bald. With love, his coat blossomed and he grew to be a strong, handsome and magnificent being. Little did I know the effect he would have on my life or the lives of so many.

In his first year, Cayman would go with me to visit patients in adult daycare centers who were too depressed or demented to speak. He would jump on their laps and give them kisses to make them smile. Some centers made special doggie treats for our visits. The seniors took great pleasure in making him do little tricks for treats. Cayman loved to perform. Some years later, while working a summer program for seriously emotionally disturbed children, we had Cayman Day every Thursday. Cayman helped the kids to work together, to be quiet, to play safe and to feel loveable. An 8 yo boy who refused to talk, learned that it was safe to talk with Cayman, and on our departure, would hold Cayman and whispered, "I love you so much, Cayman, please come back." Earlier this year, Cayman helped me in the primary care clinic where I work with the homeless. When clients would cry, he would tuck his nose in their legs and they would smile. For a few minutes, they could pet his softness and remember that they must not be so bad after all. After a few visits to the clinic, he started to act like he owned the joint and staff treated him like my little assistant. He helped everybody to relax and to enjoy the moment.

Cayman was and will always be my beautiful Prince, master teacher, play mate, and noble protector. He changed my life. Life will never be the same, and for now, I am feeling very lost without him by my side. Like him, I must muster the strength to move forward and to find joy even in this pain. Just as he did over these last three months as he played "Stick" in our field of clover and daisies. No matter how much he was bleeding or how badly he was congested, he loved our nightly walks with the "stick." I hope I can be as strong as he was, and find some pleasure in the everyday.

I am grateful for all of you and to the Sheltie Forum. Your support and heartfelt words give me comfort. I am deeply moved by all of your prayers. I do believe your prayers helped Cayman to live out his final days without too much suffering, and helped me to be strong. I am particularly moved by my dear friend, Christine, who has been my rock through all of this. I feel honored to be able to call her my friend. She is a woman who possesses profound grace, courage, compassion, generosity, humor, intelligence and spiritual wisdom. Knowing her in this short time has had a profound impact on my life. May I live to be the kind of friend to her as I am confident she is with so many others.

Blessings to everyone,
Eryn and Cayman
[email protected]
 
Back
Top