Good-ish update on my Katy!

2023 was a terrible year for me in soo many ways.
But I got through it.
I even flew Pico with me for Thanksgiving to my Mom's sister and for Christmas with my brother's family at Mom's house. He helped all of us as we were having our first holidays without Mom.

with the thanksgiving trip I knew I needed a potty trained dog by then so it either had to be get a puppy in July/August, or the following January after Christmas.

I never felt like I was supressing feelings for Pico, more like he made me focus on happier things and not wallow. He is such a HAPPY little guy. I turned 50 this year so it is a reminder that if I want to do something that now is a great time.

if you don't get the feels when snuggling a puppy, then now isn't the right time. I'm one of those saps that has to say hi to every older dog, and let them know how special and sweet they are. Me without a dog just doesn't compute.

Gavin was 17.....I always planned on him making it to 15 or thereabouts. I treated every day past that as extra innings. He had a very full life, and went to the beach the weekend before he passed (we went -and go- pretty much every weekend). Covid meant we were together A LOT, and looking back I think he hung on for me. and while that is so very sweet and I cherish all the memories, it was time for him.
 
Last edited:
I'm one of those saps that has to say hi to every older dog, and let them know how special and sweet they are. Me without a dog just doesn't compute.
Haha, same! And I suspect that all of us on here are like that. There's this jogging trail that I go to (well, haven't gone in a year but USED to go to), there's an old man always on it with a dog. I've seen him for YEARS. I have no idea what his name is, but his dog's name is Cookie and he likes for you to stroke his forehead and scratch his butt... LOL

Sometimes these two big dogs come running up and go jogging with me, too. I have no idea where they live, but one random day they they came running over to me and seemed to choose me as their buddy, and after that they just stick with me!

Gavin was 17.....I always planned on him making it to 15 or thereabouts. I treated every day past that as extra innings.
I really hoped that Katy would make it to a little old lady age, too :-( After her stroke, though, I tried to do the same as just counted every day as a blessing. She really did amazingly well from around May until November 2024, so I have no real right to complain. I mean, she was still playing fetch with me up until about mid-December!

She was just an amazing little kid <3
 
this would be why I have multiple shelties- my first dog as an adult wasn't a sheltie but he was an only dog and when I lost him to cancer, it was very empty. I got my next dog within the month and he was an only dog for a while until I got my first sheltie and I've never had less than 2 since. Since Dixie was the oldest, I expected her to be the next but here she is 15 and my 12 year old is the one that I lost to cancer. I have plans to get another within the next 2 years and I'm over 50 already:winkgrin:
 
I will just say that I got Flurry for my 70th birthday present and she'll be 8 this year. Misty came to me as a puppy four years ago. The dogs give me purpose and keep me young! Well, young-ish maybe. It was Misty that got me through the two worst years of my life, glued to my side through all of it, always in tune to my feelings. She still is. I will never be without a dog. If they outlive me, I've made sure they'll be cared for. Don't penalize yourself due to age. Dogs add too much to our lives -- and our health -- to do that.
 
Sooo True!!! I agree with Ann. My shelties have made my life so much better. Even though I have had only 1 at a time. I have had 1 for the last 35 years and plan on having at least 1 as long as I live. They keep me going thru the good and bad times and give me purpose, in exchange for them just being them. They truly love you and try to take care of you.
 
Jason, I turn 60 this year. I have had pets my entire life. When I was pregnant with our youngest (born in 2000), I was without pets in the house for an entire 6 months. I was MISERABLE!!!! I didn't feel I could put myself out there, plus I carry like an elephant and who is going to give young animals to a crazy, uber pregnant women with 2 young kids?! (I had 3 kids in 4 years) Well, believe it or not, someone did! They had doubts, I went for a kitten, saw 2 sisters, they were iffy about my kids so we drove to the fosters house - I let her have my kids to check out with the kittens and we came home with them. :) One passed at 5 - we were heartbroken. The other lasted 19 1/2 years - she was an incredible cat to all of our kids, choosing the next in line to be her 'favorite' when the older one went off and worked her way down the line.

I won't ever be without pets, I WILL ensure my pets have money set aside for their care and a home if I am gone. Don't sell your life short... my dad is at 92 - can you think of half your life without pets? Yes, you are raw now.. Give it time and give yourself time, but never say never. :)
 
We've always had at least two before our first one passed. It helps tremendously; I think I'd truly be lost without a dog or three. Some days I still cry about Faith, or think how much she would have liked Juno. I didn't do Christmas this year because I couldn't bear to unpack the box with Faith's stocking. When everything else in the world goes to crap I still have my pups and am grateful.
 
Don't penalize yourself due to age.
Not trying to be too dark here, but...

My mom died at 69, and my dad died at 74. My dad's mom died at 39, and his dad died at 74. My mom's mom died at 60, and her dad died at 70. While I know that there were a lot of environmental factors, I also have to be practical and recognize that my odds of living past 75 are not so great :-(

I'm really super depressed right now. We went out tonight for a bit of a distraction, just dinner and some light shopping. We both really just didn't want to come home. But alas, we had to come home at some point.

I thought that waking up and going to bed without Katy was hard, but coming in the house after being out? That was extremely painful. She always sat at the top of the steps and watched for us to drive up, so 9 times out of 10 she would be barking when I walk up to the door. And that bark always made me smile, because I knew she was feeling good! And the times that she didn't bark, she was usually asleep at the top of the steps and I would sneak up there to put my hand on her and wake her up with a smile.

So walking up the path and no bark, knowing that I'll never hear her bark again?

God.

Then going into the kitchen wasn't any easier. I still have her water fountain, bed, rugs to keep her from slipping... shoot, half of the dang kitchen counter is filled with treats and medicine!! I don't have the heart to get rid of it, but I don't have the heart to leave it, either.
 
It took me a while to pack up Gavin's things. I donated some things, but kept most of the bigger things. Which was pretty handy since I ended up picking him up a week after arriving home from my Mom's. So now Pico has ice big dog beds, crates, etc. I obviously had to buy smaller things for him (harnesses, packs, raincoat).

Be gentle with yourself. There is no rush so do what feels right.
I know we are puppy pushers here, but they do bring so much joy and light.
 
My neighbor has an older dog that's about Katy's size, she's coming tomorrow (Sunday) to get her leftover treats and old-lady supplements. And I talked to her vet, I plan to take her leftover medicine to them this upcoming week.

I have no idea what to do with her Farmer's Dog. I just got a whole box of it in, untouched! The company is awesome and refunded me for the whole thing, but I want to give it to someone that will use it and continue getting it for their dog. My neighbor isn't that kind of dog owner, and I really don't know anyone in person that loves their dog like that :-/

Her bed, toys, etc? It'll probably make its way into the attic at some point. Which honestly feels like a waste, but there's no way I could give it away or (God forbid) throw it out! Her favorite toy was a squeaky bowling pin, that'll probably stay on my desk for the rest of my life.
 
Back
Top