labgirl
Forums Sage
Thank you Julia, I have been told something similar before about running my own course and making it fast and fun.
I do also think my own nerves make a big difference. When I am in a familiar venue I relax and just run, when I am in a new place, especially KC, my anxiety creeps up.
For instance, I have just run two days at my club's outside show. The first day Merlin was flying because it was just 'fun' we had 3 clears and one 5faults (handler error!). The next day we had our club Finals and my nerves went through the roof and Merlin freaked again. He was clearly picking up my anxiety. When we finished on a fun pairs class I had completely relaxed and he ran like a dream.
So it's a combination of things and I need to learn to relax and not let my nerves infect Merlin - much easier said than done!
I have also started keeping away from the queue, as you mention, to give Merlin more space and he now has a yellow bandanna to alert people to give him more room. We will get there, lots of years of agility ahead of us, and in the meantime I always have Cadbury to give me a good blast around a course! Lol!
I do also think my own nerves make a big difference. When I am in a familiar venue I relax and just run, when I am in a new place, especially KC, my anxiety creeps up.
For instance, I have just run two days at my club's outside show. The first day Merlin was flying because it was just 'fun' we had 3 clears and one 5faults (handler error!). The next day we had our club Finals and my nerves went through the roof and Merlin freaked again. He was clearly picking up my anxiety. When we finished on a fun pairs class I had completely relaxed and he ran like a dream.
So it's a combination of things and I need to learn to relax and not let my nerves infect Merlin - much easier said than done!
I have also started keeping away from the queue, as you mention, to give Merlin more space and he now has a yellow bandanna to alert people to give him more room. We will get there, lots of years of agility ahead of us, and in the meantime I always have Cadbury to give me a good blast around a course! Lol!