Grooming for summer

here in AL, Callie doesn't get shaved. I did have her trimmed the first summer to see how she did but since then, she's been natural. she does like to lay on the tile floor though- but she's doing that now and it's not hot at the moment. :wink2:
 
here in AL, Callie doesn't get shaved. I did have her trimmed the first summer to see how she did but since then, she's been natural. she does like to lay on the tile floor though- but she's doing that now and it's not hot at the moment. :wink2:

Heck, in the summer I like to lay on the tile floor! :lol:
 
Okay, I've been talking to groomers and such about shelties, grooming etc. Well, they all tell me I should keep a lion-cut on a sheltie in the summer, if not, they will get too hot (I do live in Southern Ga and it does get really hot here.). But I thought you were not suppose to shave a sheltie? :uhoh: Advise is REALLY needed! Oh, and I've also been told the it's too hot here to have a sheltie. :(

Hi Starr,

That is exactly why I don't bother with a groomer around me. I don't trust them. I have read Sharon's posts, and she is very fortunate. I trim the straggly hairs on their ears, and trim a bit what hangs down, and their paws and that is it. It takes me awhile, and I don't mind because I am not letting a groomer who has no clue.

Thanks to a the posters on the board for some great ideas!!!

PS: after dealing with allll of the snow, and allll of this ice, I am going to lay down on the floor with my shelties.
 
A few years ago, I asked my vet if I should shave my sheltie because of the heat. She said that she had a sheltie too and thought it was best to let the dog keep it's coat. A sheltie's fur is made to help keep them cool!!I would definitely get another groomer. I hate it when someone doesn't know what they are talking about and tries to bluff you like that. Don't shave anything, except your shelties butt. You might want to shave their pubic area and belly if you're expecting a litter. Also, I have seen some sites that say what weather conditions were best for each breed and the sheltie was good in extreme cold and heat. Good Luck!!
 
I had a bad groomer who cut my shelties' mane down to half an inch in September and it still hasn't grown back to its full length.

They coped fine until it got over 34C (95F) with lots of water on their walks and hose downs during training. But now it is around 40C (100+F) they are really suffering and I do feel awful - they can barely walk and without any breeze there is nothing to stir up their coat.

But - given the time it takes for the coat to grow it isn't worth cutting it for a couple of months of excessive heat when they are comfortable for the rest of the year - and they will want their full coats for winter.

I would suggest getting a groomer that will just work on loosening all the undercoat and keep up the undercoat grooming during the spring shed (I do it myself now because I cant find an experienced groomer here). They love it when they lose that excess coat.
 
Back
Top