Grooming Tips

I like to groom in front of the TV as well. I have a "lazy susan" grooming table" that I put on the floor or table that my hubby made for me. I can spin the dogs around and it has a harness to keep them standing when I work on their feet. I no longer have to move myself or flip the dogs to get at the part I'm working on!

I'm still thinking I should patent this!
 
What is line brushing?

I've heard a lot about line brushing-what kind of brush do you use and how do you do it? I have a 5 month old and a 11 week old so how much grooming do they really need at this age?
 
I've heard a lot about line brushing-what kind of brush do you use and how do you do it? I have a 5 month old and a 11 week old so how much grooming do they really need at this age?

For line brush, I use a pin brush. A favorite around the forums is Chris Christensen's pin brush (http://www.chrissystems.com/brushes.htm I like the 20mm oblong brush). A good pin brush is important as a cheap one will break the outer coat.

For a small puppy, brushing often is not as important as it is for an adult dog, but I would recommend starting right away because that way the dog gets used to it. When the dog is older, they will be used to brushing and it will be easier to manage when they have a larger coat.
 
I like to groom in front of the TV as well. I have a "lazy susan" grooming table" that I put on the floor or table that my hubby made for me. I can spin the dogs around and it has a harness to keep them standing when I work on their feet. I no longer have to move myself or flip the dogs to get at the part I'm working on!

I'm still thinking I should patent this!

That table sounds fantastic!! I use a TV stand on casters that I converted to a grooming table but it is not ideal.

I've heard a lot about line brushing-what kind of brush do you use and how do you do it? I have a 5 month old and a 11 week old so how much grooming do they really need at this age?

I am still learning so I know that someone with more experience can explain the technique better, but I use the Chris Christensen wooden pin brush and I just love it. It was recommended to me by a breeder and it is so nice to hold and use, and the wooden pins are so gentle on the dogs.
 
I strongly recommend that you purchase off Amazon.com or eBay "The Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming" by Barb Ross.

My only criticisim of this book is that it only shows illustrations not actual photos.

My second recommendation is to purchase the Sheltie/Collie Online Grooming Seminar by Silver Trail Shelties (just google Silver Trails and you'l find it)

And finally, trial by error.....you have to learn your dogs and their own "issues" to work around.

But I do think that most Sheltie owners can do a better job of properly grooming their dogs then going to a pet shop. That being said, I'll still use the pet shop for bathing and nail trimming (simply because I hate it, though I do it when necessary).
 
For a small puppy, brushing often is not as important as it is for an adult dog, but I would recommend starting right away because that way the dog gets used to it. When the dog is older, they will be used to brushing and it will be easier to manage when they have a larger coat.

you would think starting as a puppy, that the dog would get accustomed to being brushed. Cran acts like he's being tortured when I brush him now. The girls (I guess they appreciate being beautiful) have no issues :wink2:
 
you would think starting as a puppy, that the dog would get accustomed to being brushed. Cran acts like he's being tortured when I brush him now. The girls (I guess they appreciate being beautiful) have no issues :wink2:

Bailey is just like Cranberry. Despite being brushed since she was 10 weeks old with lots of treats, she still acts like she is being tortured. Hopefully, no one hears her screaming, because they'll probably call the police. :lol:
 
Hate to be a downer, but Neechee hated having his nails trimmed from the time I got him (6 weeks old) until he departed this life (age 17). He would do anything to keep me from getting hold of his feet - growl, show me his scary Sheltie face, bite, snarl, and generally act like a jerk. When I became disabled, my mom would help me (Neechee was about age 14 then), and she could hardly believe this mild-mannered, cheerful little guy went into full attack dog mode when the grinder, clippers, and file came out.
 
I don't think there is a dog on earth that likes to get their nails trimmed. All it takes is ONE time where you hit the quick and these pups have memories like elephants. They never forget.

The best way for dogs that are squeamish is to acclimatize them to the process all over again. Training 101. Start when the pups are tired and just pick up their paws and squeeze them gently. The progress to squeezing the paws and touching either the clipper or the dremmel to the nail without doing anything. Simple touch. Get them used to lying down on their side or on their backs (whatever your preferred position). Don't try to do the nails, just hold them there and gently massage their paws. (I personally prefer my dogs on their sides. I tend to groom on the floor so I use my legs to help keep them from wiggling around.)

Make sure fur around paws around feet is well trimmed, otherwise you'll be fighting fur instead of getting to the nails.

I've found that both my dogs are more skittish over various front or back feet, depending on which one was bled before. Unfortunately, I can never remember until I start. So lay the pup down and take a paw. Hold it gently at first and then exert some pressure to push out the nails a little. If he starts and squirms, I move to other feet first until he settles.

Whether clipper or dremmel, only do a little bit at a time; moving from nail to nail after only a few seconds, until pup settles.

You also want to avoid a struggling match, so you need to learn techniques to subdue your dog. That's probably a whole other lesson, but enough to say that if the dog is struggling, you might as well just stop.

I hope this helps

Cheers Barb
 
Back
Top