Handling Systems

definitely doing decelerating with Derrett system here too...
OR trying to execute what I learn... I should say :eek2:

you guys know I am gonna be a life long addict, cuz there is just too much to learn, i will never know it all, LOL.. and I JUST got started, wish I had started when I was like 20... haha in my 40's I just can't remember anything LOLLL

I really love the interesting observations from you all. It is a great discussion!
 
green green team there.... I feel lucky I got into my trainer's class and she is the best teacher one could ask for, she reads dogs, knows exactly what your problem is, never blames the dog and tells you straight what you have done and what you need to do...
our class starts with everyone doing one run and then we go over the course, my trainer starts with questions "what is your dog seeing?" What are your body motion? What are your cues here?... then she discusses options for more difficult places why they'll work or don't work...
Trainer states she uses what works in a way of which system... Primary cue is body motion which generally already present in dog/ human relationship, second is directional commands/ trained/ and third is verbal command/ trained/. Fundamental is recall to side, from anywhere, any position dog has to come to side. Non turning obstacles like DW taught for dog to be very independent, i.e no matter what handler position is or body movement, dog has to start and finish obstacle regardless of handler moves... turning obstacles like jumps- rely on handler body motion/ trained cues/ position, take whatever is in front unless directed otherwise...
Generally it reminds me of dancing, motion of the partner tells me what to do even if I do not have pre learned steps...
another strength that I could actually think ... hmm how do I show my dog I want this or that... ok, here is tough one, I better build eye contact in this spot with dog name/ verbal/ arm movement/ directional/ and if needed obstacle name/ verbal/... and here is the simple one... run, dog will take whatever obstacles in his path, then FC, change directions etc...oh and here I need to make sure dog decel and does post turn so I will stay on take off side and rotate my body...
am sure glad I did all those years of dance lessons:yes:
 
Last edited:
One of the first things we learnt in the Derrett system is accel and decel cues, and we were told very sternly to protect them with everything we do! (ie. when playing fetch, make sure you move when you throw the ball to let the dog know that he/she is allowed to accelerate past you. If you stand still, you are killing your decel cues etc.) We learnt these before any FC, RC, threadles etc.

I never thought about it, but you're so right. I wish my trainer had told me WHY we should do that, but sooo very true.
 
After seminar with agilitynerd I am coming to conclusion that each system uses same cues, it is variance of importance they place on each one. APHS system places 1. motion 2. directional / positional/ cues 3. verbal cues
GD places directional cues as most important ones, I heard that Stuart Mah places great impact on verbal cues... and every system can be successful so that is not the point.
depending on the dog every handler has to decide for themselves what is the best for their team how much their dog needs and what they feel most comfortable...stands to reason that Che is very visual and non reactive to noise so motion is natural cue for us... I am chatterbox when nervous so it is good to keep my mouth shut, run quietly and only use Che's name when I want specific attention from my boy...
 
You should go! Tell him you know me :winkgrin:

It is for the LEAP club members and if it does not fill then it will open to the public.I will check it out.Right now I am more interested Lo Baker and hoping for another spot soon or even a private with her.Watching her run one of her BC's at the 2006 USDAA Nationals and placing second is incredible to watch.Her talking about drawing the line and seeing the video where she does it is incredible and talk about distant.I so wanted to do her summer camp but she is not having it this year.Bummer.If you want to check out her youtube page of the run it is kavaadch.
 
Back
Top