Have to decide how to handle serious illness!

With mine, when age and underlying medical issues make them fussy or non eaters, I have always gone with whatever they will eat...even if it is all "people" food. I add a doggie vitamin pill to whatever they would be getting, but I feel that eating something is far more important than trying to hold to regular dog food. Obviously I only use quality food, no junk food. If Fasb were a growing pup, it would be different and you would need to be sure he was getting a balanced doggie diet...but he is a senior who except for the eating issue sounds like he is doing really well...and giving him more happy time with you is your goal.

Trini

Thank you. This is how we feel (I'm Fasb's other owner, lol). We're not quite comfortable letting Fasb get away from his regular diet, but we see signs of steady decline, so it doesn't seem to be worth the fight. He's still capable of "happy time" with us, so I think we're going to do whatever we can to make him comfortable. It'd certainly be a different thing if he was younger and in better health.

I have to agree with my husband. I'd like to think we could withhold people food and force him back to kibble, but I don't think it's that simple. His changes in diet are definitely not normal, so I expect age and kidney disease have a lot to do with it.
 
Kidney and liver issues can make everything taste metallic. Seniors have a decline in smell as well. So sorry you are on this path , it sadly mirrors the one I was on. My dog went a year on ground turkey and potatos with liver cancer. I added multivitamn ( dissolved in water). Flax seed and sometimes carrots. At the very emd it was anything he would eat. So very, very sorry.
 
Kidney and liver issues can make everything taste metallic. Seniors have a decline in smell as well. So sorry you are on this path , it sadly mirrors the one I was on. My dog went a year on ground turkey and potatos with liver cancer. I added multivitamn ( dissolved in water). Flax seed and sometimes carrots. At the very emd it was anything he would eat. So very, very sorry.

Yeah, I assumed food either tastes funny or didn't smell right to him. He's eaten much more enthusiastically the past few days, since we put him on "people food" and started giving him chicken and such. But he's also showing no interest in foods and treats he would have gobbled down a month ago.

Went to the vet for fresh bloodwork yesterday. Bad. We're probably just buying him time, but he acts like he feels ok yet so it's worth it even if it just buys him a few weeks. He's still playing, wanting to go for walks, following us around the house, wagging his tail, etc. I worry that he doesn't feel well and it just bearing it stoically, but his disposition and habits seem pretty normal so I assume he's still got quality of life. He spent last night watching tv with me on the couch then went in and laid at my wife's feet for awhile. Slept with us as usual.

We're hoping he makes it through Christmas but we'll see. I don't think he'll hold up till Spring.
 
So sorry the bloodwork was not good...but as long as Fasb is still enjoying time with you that is what is important right now. He wouldn't be acting happy if he really felt ill...even with stoic Shelties you can tell when quality time is no longer possible. Hoping you get many more good times with your Fasb before he lets you know he no longer feels well enough to enjoy life. My heart goes out to you...facing this is never easy.

Trini
 
I don't feel it's his time yet. He is still alert, active, generally happy. People who meet him casually are surprised how well he seems to be for his age and condition. His habits and disposition are still largely the same. Aside from refusing food, there not a lot to indicate he feels poorly.

I think my husband is worried that his condition may change suddenly. Given his age and what we know of his health, that seems very possible.
 
In addition to everything else, he's suddenly having trouble with the steps in our house. He's been having a little trouble lately, but nothing severe too severe - mostly just in the late evening - but suddenly he's having trouble getting up stairs. Either shying away or just not able to do it. My husband had to carry him up a set of steps this morning - twice. He tried twice to run up the stairwell, but missed a step and slid back to the bottom. After that, he kept pawing at the bottom stairs and clearly wanted to come up but either couldn't get his weight shifted or something.

Since then, he has gone up and down other stairwells in the house. May just be arthritis. He had problems over the weekend, then was better for about two days after we gave him his arthritis medicine, So maybe he just needs it more often. I'm concerned it could be eyesight or problems with his hind legs. He has some issues with both, but so far they haven't been serious enough to limit him.

His quality of life still seems good, but we probably won't let him deteriorate too much more. if we don't have to take him in tomorrow for his bowel movements, he has an appt. Friday morning to discuss all of this.
 
Susan, I really commend you and your husband for keeping Faab's best interests at the forefront of your decision making. This is such a difficult time for any pet owner because we all love them so much. What makes it even more difficult is when the mind is willing but the body not so much.

I'll continue to keep your little family in my thoughts and prayers. Give your darling boy a pet for me.
 
He seems rather perky today, but something's going on. Not going up and down steps as readily as usual, and if he goes down to bottom level, often needs help getting up the stairs.

I walked him when I came home. He moved pretty well outside, but didn't want to go as too far. That's not too unusual. At his age, we let him dictate the length of walks. If he doesn't want to go, we head back to the house. I can usually tell by the way he responds to a gentle tug on the leash what he wants. Most of the walks the past few days have been very good. Last night was probably the longest walk we've had in a while. He kept resisting when I tried to turn him back to the house. Seemed to want to keep going.

When he saw a neighbor, he barked and jumped happily till she stopped to pet him. Seemed good. Right before the walk, though, he followed me to the basement and couldn't get up the stairs. Kept putting his paws on the bottom step like he wanted to just walk up the steps. He doesn't get more than a step or two that way.

Probably arthritis. He started doing this about a week ago, but seemed better for a day or two of arthritis after I gave him some medicine. He's only been needing medicine every three or four days, but it might be time to up the frequency. That worries me. With his kidney issues, I'm nervous giving him an NSAID or a steroid 4 times a week. But we'll need to keep him comfortable till the end, so it will probably have to be one or the other.

Not sure it is arthritis. He has cataracts forming and weakness in his hind legs, so.... We already had a vet appt Friday morning, so hopefully he can sort it out.
 
it is friday now, how did your appointment at the vet go?
hopefully fasb is still a happy dog. as long as he wants his walks it doesn't sound as if he is feeling too sick.
 
He's so-so. He doesn't seem to be extremely ill, but he's not himself either. Our vet rechecked his blood work and his BUN reading was too high. The veterinarian administered fluids at the office. We're taking him back to office tomorrow morning for another round of fluid, and then the vet will recheck his blood on Tuesday.

Our vet seemed to think Fasb would need to empty his bladder a number of times this afternoon. Fasb did go more frequently than normal, but not as much as we expected, We think he went three times between 11:30 and 4:30. I don't think he has gone since. I thought the vet said he gave him something like 2 gallons? Does that sound right?

We are wondering if he should he be going more frequently or does once every few hours sound about right? We're not sure what to expect.

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top