Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Height/weight, and now length, spreadsheet

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Caro, May 5, 2011.

1. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Yep, people apparently skim over that part. Most "long" dogs I see are long in the back, not because they have good front angulation. I have one of each, one with good angles, and one long in back.

Oh, I added my four.

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    If I measured Bailey correctly, she is 17 inches long, which seems pretty long for her height. I also think she is taller than 13.5 inches, so I updated her height to 13.75. She is very close to 14 inches...very close! I hope her official measurements are shorter than 14 inches. I like her jumping 12 inch agility bars.

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks for that info Dr Shelli, really interesting. I had a bit of difficulty measuring from chest to pelvis, had to di it a few times before I was sure I got the bony bit at the back (being in full winter coat doesnt help). That means Deska is not hugely over length, maybe its just his giant fluffy butt and full mane that makes him look longer.

FYI everyone - the length is in inches to go with the height measurement. Silly me went and entered my own dogs in cm and they ended up with ratios that would put daschunds to shame!

4. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I just remeasured my two and Zak is 17 1/2 inches high at 24.5 pounds and 22 inches long. Maggie is 14 inches at 15 pounds although she she could be lighter than that, it was her last weight at the vets. She is 14 inches to 15 inches long.

5. DPSheltie

DPSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2010
    Bristol, CT
    OMG!!!!!!

Here I was thinking that Riley was just a little over standard, since everyone who sees him says that he is so much smaller than the shelties that they have seen. Two other sheltie owners (pet owners I met at the dog parks) also insist that he is so tiny compared with theirs (they are heavy boned, kinda chunky and taller).

Well...... I finally measured him at 16 months and he is....... 17.25!!!! :uhoh::eek2: He may really be 17 or slightly under, but he is pretty damn close. I also checked his length (which may be very off) and he comes in around 22.5 inches. 1.3 ratio, but he really looks more square than many of the shelties that we see in training class.

At least he is under 18 so he will still jump 16 in agility. So much for the growth charts that had him in the safe zone all thru puppyhood..... Here's to a super sized buddy for me :biggrin2:

6. PreciousSheltie

PreciousSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011
    Figured Precious would still be growing so I didn't bother adding to the spreadsheet until she was a bit older... checking back today (As I saw this thread was alive again).. She's pretty much the same in every regard hahaha I guess she'll stay small :p Same height, same length, same weight pretty much. Not sure if its a good thing or bad thing or if I'm just terrible at measuring and weighing... But mm updated the spreadsheet

7. Lysette85

Lysette85 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    Since it was hard for me to measure just one side of the dog, I took a tape measure and completely circled the dog in it-start at the chest, around to the back end and around the other side to the chest again, and divide that number by 2...came out what I thought it would be.

8. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Okay, so Dr. Shelli wrote we should measure from "front of chest to the end of the pelvis". Does anyone have a link to a picture of where those two things are? When I think chest, I think the skinny part underneath a dog. Obviously, that's not the "front of chest", lol. And is "end of pelvis" where the bony parts are? Or behind that a bit?

Sheesh. Just show me a skeleton and put pointers on it.

And then I'll update the spreadsheet with Koji and Miko tonight.

9. DPSheltie

DPSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2010
    Bristol, CT
    Ok.. This was the best pic that I could find :eek: It is actually showing the correct way to measure height, but it can be used for length.

I am not an expert at this, and maybe I am doing it wrong also, but I measured from the breast bone (or point of shoulder looking at the labels on this image) to the Ischium (or point of hip). In other words, I found the forward-most bony part of his chest and measured to the pointy bony part of his but (lots of digging thru thick sheltie pants there!)

I hope this helped....and please correct me if I am wrong about measuring

Attached Files:

10. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I will wait to make sure someone confirms this is right...Dr. Shelli? But THANK YOU for the skeleton photo. That helps so much. Now, to find those bones. lol.