Hello Puppy Fear Period!

I think he just doesn't understand why he should walk for me if he doesn't want to go where I am going.
Once he wants to go he has no problem keeping up.
I will pick him up and walk for a bit until he struggles to get down, it helps some.
I will do classes come the new year if we are still struggling.
I am travelling the next 2 weekends and then for Christmas, so that makes it a bit trickier.
I honestly never thought I would have THIS problem.

he isn't shy, or dominant.
he is generally well behaved for a 6 month old puppy. playful but not a troublemaker.

Thinking about my current crew of 2 yr olds the female really balked too going for walks. She just would stop even when her bff was along she did not want to walk. I went out for several short walk sessions with her and she did better and better. Again when her bff was along she was better. Now is is all in, maybe resigned that "oh well lets get this over with"??? but she goes willingly and bounces right along. Dogs all have their own personalities and their own "fears" demands?? whatever. My female has no apparent interest in the peemail but the male does but the two walk on lead so well we always get compliments.. patience will out for you I hope. Her balking stages only lasted several weeks and then it was done.
 
I agree with Woof, it's probably a stage. Lots of puppies don't walk well...they don't understand the whole "walk" thing tethered to a human. I had one years ago who would flop over on her back and Just Not Cooperate. Thankfully, that did pass and she walks like a charm now. Stick with it, be persistent and positive, and he'll come along. Literally! :yes:
 
puppies.....pico is a lot of WORK.
potty training, howling, walking.....
It's almost like Pico wants to push me to the brink of frustration before all of a sudden yelling 'psych! and becoming the perfect puppy!

Gavin I'm sure was just as time consuming, but it didn't feel like really work, if you know what I mean.
 
As I get older I have forgotten alot especially anything about work or anything about Teddy that today I would consider a challenge. He was my little "Angel" My wife consistently reminds me otherwise.. :). See there are a few positives about getting older!
 
Last edited:
You're exactly right, Cindy. Puppies are a LOT of work! There is no perfect puppy. That's why they're so cute! :lol: One day you turn around and they're calm and mellow and sweet and you forget everything it took to get there. Usually around age 2, so hang on! :eek2:
 
I was either much more patient with Gavin, or he wasn't so challenging.
I do remember LOTS of walking with him (like every morning and night for hours), but then he walked pretty well so I could do that.
Pico just frustrates me when we walk :( he is getting better, but slowly and he has regressive days.

Pico also isn't as attached to me. He isn't a velcro dog (not that Gavin was, but he was usually near me. Pico not so much).
That could mean Pico is very well adjusted and confident (yeah!) or that he isn't so focused on making me happy (boo hiss!).

I did NOT stress about taking Gavin on a 2000 mile road trip when he was 8 months old. he was great in the car, and a perfect guest at homes and hotels.
He was great on walks, too. We stopped every day at somewhere fun for him to walk. he hiked the south rim of the grand canyon no problem.

I am anxious about Pico's trips for thanksgiving (7 months old) and christmas (8 months old) because he isn't a good walker and doesn't pee on command (Gavin did). I am just happy when he will pee on grass not at home (big celebration) cause he will hold it until we get home from activities/walks most of the time.

I guess all these doggie things that Gavin did with little training I expected Pico to do, and now I have to fight for things I took for granted.

on the positive side. last night I was brushing my teeth before bed, and when I came out of the bathroom Pico was sitting by my bed waiting for me to lift him up for bedtime :) very cute! normally I have to call him into the bedroom or go get him (again...not a velcro dog....he will hang out in the living room when I leave even after I turn all the lights off).
 
Well, having a pretty independent-minded puppy myself I get what you mean, but you just have to accept their character for what it is, and Pico is still developing. Honestly I'd be happy he doesn't have separation anxiety, which is usually a life-long issue. Puppies, like teenagers, are focused on THEMSELVES, just like teenagers are. Pretty sure you will see a big change in him but it may not come until he's 2, like Ann says. I think males mature a bit more slowly anyway.

Keep working on the pee on command thing with a reward (either food or lavish praise) every single time. He'll get there.
 
I was worried about the separation anxiety, too.
that's the first thing people go to with a crying or howling puppy.
which he did every night for 6 weeks until he got in my bed.
and then he howled during the day when I worked until I hooked up the automated Kong dispenser.
(who is trained here? LOL)

those things don't work well in communal housing :(

I think he just gets bored and vocalizes, hoping he grows out of that.

everything is a work on progress....
 
I agree with Woof, it's probably a stage. Lots of puppies don't walk well...they don't understand the whole "walk" thing tethered to a human. I had one years ago who would flop over on her back and Just Not Cooperate. Thankfully, that did pass and she walks like a charm now. Stick with it, be persistent and positive, and he'll come along. Literally! :yes:

I have taken three Shelties thru obedience training at different times-- in every case by mid course I was ready to quit.. they would not cooperate, they acted dumb like they didn't understand any commands we had been practicing, they were distracted constantly-- and we know Shelties are smart--- but about mid way thru they changed and were at or near the top of the class by the end--. I clicker trained one to commands and that went so well I was amazed, tried it on another and it didn't happen-- probably me..clicker training really requires a good eye and patience.
 
One of our pups, when she was a pup, used to dig at spots in the back yard-- totally fixed on that spot?? never knew why exactly but she was on dirt and she often uncovered underground power cables or phone lines-- no I was not happy but somehow she knew they were there or just happened on them???.. she doesn't do that now yea!! She is also the pup who chewed thru a cord to the fan while I sat working on the computer... suddenly she yipped and jumped and I went over to see and saw bare wires.. it shocked me to see that so after that all power cords were made unavailable to her- now she seems fine around them. My bad for not being more careful.
I just saw a story on Facebook about a dog acting strangely suddenly in the house, turns out they’d just installed smart plugs and smart bulbs throughout the house and the frequency was through the roof! Unplugged them all and the dog’s behaviour returned to normal. Just goes to show they hear/feel these things!
 
Back
Top