Hello Puppy Fear Period!

I just saw a story on Facebook about a dog acting strangely suddenly in the house, turns out they’d just installed smart plugs and smart bulbs throughout the house and the frequency was through the roof! Unplugged them all and the dog’s behaviour returned to normal. Just goes to show they hear/feel these things!

I have often wondered what our dogs hear when we have our TV on-- I have a sonic device that emits high frequency sound as a deterrent to baking-- I use it to discourage dogs that come at us when I walk my dogs but of course mu pups also really react to it-- I can't hear a thing and so yeah we live in a very different world than our dogs do sensory wise- sound-temp-colors- and a biggie... smells. We share their space and some of their world but who knows what we are missing??? Our dogs often going into a barking frenzy and rush the sliding glass doors to the outside and I see nothing there...who knows what they see/hear/smell?? Some cars drive them nuts to, others no response.. different worlds wrapped into a common space.
 
I so completely understand your frustration!!! I don't recall Oberon being nearly this difficult to train. In retrospect he was the perfect puppy, although I'm sure I'm not remembering a lot of stuff and whitewashing some too. We're still working with Oreo on toileting -- he just doesn't seem to "get it". We keep trying, but then get waylaid in our plans for whatever reason (vacation, my illness, etc.). I guess we'll just keep at it (sigh). Other than that he's doing better -- he doesn't chew on everything (just most things). He's always been very attached so that's not an issue.

The best news doggie-wise is that he and Oberon are actually playing together!! I guess Oberon has accepted that Oreo's not going anywhere so they may as well have some fun. Of course most of their games are dominance ones, but whatever. Oreo at 7.5 months is almost as big as Oberon so I'm sure that helps the dynamic. And since one of our motivations for getting a second dog was so Oberon would have someone to play with which would hopefully keep him active and "younger", mission accomplished!
 
pPotty training makes a HUGE difference. once I no longer had to worry about accidents and pee puddles, I could enjoy Pico more.
And then focus on other things (like howling during the day and, you know, walking with me!).
he no longer cries in the car if I leave him in there to use the bathroom or take out the trash.
and when I shower, he curls up and sleeps on my bath mat after he eats his treats.
in the evening he will curl up next to me on the couch and nap, as well.
of course, all of this is after a LONG walk or hike :)
 
pPotty training makes a HUGE difference. once I no longer had to worry about accidents and pee puddles, I could enjoy Pico more.
And then focus on other things (like howling during the day and, you know, walking with me!).
he no longer cries in the car if I leave him in there to use the bathroom or take out the trash.
and when I shower, he curls up and sleeps on my bath mat after he eats his treats.
in the evening he will curl up next to me on the couch and nap, as well.
of course, all of this is after a LONG walk or hike :)


Cindy sounds to me like that is bonding--- progress in progress...
 
Back
Top