Help - Liam is losing weight

Back from the vet's with Liam. Eyes have stabilized which is good. Now for the bad news - Liam was in a lot of pain again today when the vet examined him. He was also very gassy. We are running pancreatic bloodwork, trying to determine if there is low-grade pancreatitis. Step-by-step elimination is what we are looking at right now. Good news - Liam was at 17.7 pounds.
 
Thanks for the update, Ronna. I'm glad Liam is gaining weight -- good news! But I'm sorry he's in pain. I hope they can isolate the cause. Sending continued prayers and pats for your boy.
 
Hugs to you! There could be any number of causes! We are holding you close in our hearts and praying that what ever is ailing Liam is easily treatable!
 
Bloodwork was all good - no issues with pancreatitis. The vet feels Liam may have a chronic gastritis and we need to treat this with meds and pain meds to see how he is. There is always a concern for another twisted bowel and blockage with him.
 
My first two thoughts were kidneys and diabetes. Both will cause rapid weight loss. You might have to put him on an enzyme to help him utilize fats in his food. Hope this gets rectified soon but sometimes these things take a lot of different approaches to get to the bottom of. Look at me, I don't know why Phoebe's liver went into failure and now my kitty can't meow. We are working on finding out why Sybil is voiceless and trying to get Phoebe's values back to normal. My ATM card is sure getting a workout!
 
Hope your two are feeling better soon. Liam's symptoms are so subtle that we can't figure it out. He is back up in weight, at 17.7 yesterday. I don't think he could handle the low-fat food (5-6%). I have him on a lamb food now at 10%.
 
Glad to hear Liam is improving. It can get so mind boggling what to do. Glad your finding a solution. Happy to hear his blood work is good.
 
Back
Top