Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help! My sheltie refuses to eat Interceptor Plus.

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Sunflower77, Mar 5, 2019.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :yuckyuck Well, that's one way to get the pill down!

Have you tried Pill Pockets?

Caro likes this.
  2. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I was able to trick her into eating the pill after I cut it into 8 tiny pieces and mixed them into her food. I also watched a video that shows how to shove meds down into the dog’s throat. For those who are interested, here is the link:

ghggp likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yep, I have done that before. Mostly with other meds. They seem to like their Heartguard so I never had issues giving it to them.

4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Glad you got her to take it. Our Hollie was tough to get to take her pills. We tried every trick of the trade and no matter what she would spit it out. As she got older she even learned how to hid the pill in her cheeks so we thought she took it. Then later we would find it in the floor. Even shoving it down her throat was difficult. She would refuse to swallow no matter how much you stroked her neck.

Now Shelby - she will eat anything if you give it to her.

Calliesmom and Sunflower77 like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Soft touch!!! :lol:

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and corbinam like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, Hollie was one sneaky/smart sheltie! Never heard of hiding it in the cheek before!

Calliesmom likes this.
  7. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Lol, wow, on some level I guess I'm lucky that my dogs will eat ANYTHING! Especially Skylar. She will happily eat any pill I hand her.

Calliesmom likes this.
  8. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    My breeder recommended using Sentinel for my Toby. She said Heartguard can be a problem for some shelties
    My Toby will have no part of chewing the pill so I use a whole hunk of peanut butter with the pill in it on the end of my finger. I make sure there's enough peanut butter for him to want to lick my finger afterwards. That way the pill goes down. (With other dogs I've used american cheese because you can mold it around the pill, but my Toby is too suspicious a guy to do that!) Good luck!!