Home Contact

Sorry but that sounds like complete BS! If Shelties didn't like heights you wouldn't have so many of them excelling in Agility.

You shouldn't EVER start training contacts at full height for ANY dog! I'm sorry, I may not be the most experienced agility person on this forum or the most experienced trainer but I do know that much. The height of the A-Frame, Dog Walk and Teeter should ALL be adjusted to fit the experience of the dog. The A-Frame at my club doesn't got flat on the ground but it does go down from about 6 foot to about 4 foot and an easier angle for them to scale.

I'm sorry but I just don't feel comfortable with the approach that contact trainer is taking. You do NOT want to force them to do any obstacle - ESPECIALLY contacts. It won't be fun for them if they are forced; they will be afraid of it instead.

The A-frame was lowered, just not to where I think it should have been. Next time I will go much more gradually with him and just ignore that trainer. If she continues saying things that ruffle my feathers, I'll ask the other trainer if we can adjust how things are run. I didn't realize how it came off or the methods until after.

One thing that really bothered me about the class is the lack of clicker presence. I was looked at weird for using it. Oh well to that. I love my clicker and so does my Duncan!

This is a new place I'm going to, much different from the place we went for the CGC. The classes are cheaper and the instructors aren't quite as qualified.

This has also put it into perspective - be happy with Duncan where he is, not where I think he should be. Work with him on his level and no pushing. I shall make a mantra of this...

Tonight makes things hard. Can a dog handle learning both agility AND flyball in the same span of time?
 
Lol only when she was on leash and we walked passed the a-frame and i felt my arm fly up in the air. I was shocked she was doing it on her own.
Oh yes! In her mind, you're not the handler, you're an optional agility accessory. That's how these headstrong girls are on the agility field. :razz:
 
One thing that really bothered me about the class is the lack of clicker presence. I was looked at weird for using it. Oh well to that. I love my clicker and so does my Duncan!

The lack of clicker doesn't surprise me. Only a few people in my club use a clicker; they tend to mark the behavior with "Yes" instead. If you do use a clicker, no one has a problem with it. They only care about the use of positive training techniques. How you reinforce the behavior is left to the handler's discretion.

So, with that said, go ahead and use your clicker! Your dog responds to it and understands it and THAT is all that matters. Who knows, they may see how well it works and decide to try it themselves eventually.
 
If Shelties are afraid of heights, Phebe totally missed that memo. After only minor hesitation on a lowered A-Frame, she rapidly embraced all contacts and in her mind they are second only to tunnels. Of course, that could change. She also loves the weaves and as her confidence with them has increased her interest and drive in weaves has grown, as well. She loves the rewards for contacts, but she also just loves completing them.

Um Diva did not get that memo either. She will take any opportunity to do contacts.

I guess Bailey didnt get the memo either because she ran up and down a 6 foot a-frame and dog walk within 2 minutes her first time.

We started the A frame at about half height and she flew over the top, cleared the apex with about 1.5 ft of air beneath her and drove down the other side.

Did it scare the crap out of you? Did me.

Yes it scared the crap out of me but out as bad as the first time she did the teeter. Had I not had her on lead she would have flown off the end. We were doing the teeter full height with a table under the high end and she ripped the lead out of my hand and took off. I was able to recover and stop her on the end

Oh yes! In her mind, you're not the handler, you're an optional agility accessory. That's how these headstrong girls are on the agility field. :razz:

Diva has that feeling. I'm just there to get in the way. She was missing a jump last week and just wanted run to the weave pole(which she loves) I kept circling her around trying to get her to take the jump and final on the third circle around she ran straight at me jumped on me and growled in a semi playful, semi frustrated way. I guess she was telling me to get my act together.:lol: A member of our class who happens to be a judge told me, "you not on the same page as a team yet, in fact I don't think your reading the same book.":lol: So true. If it was up to Diva she just do all the contacts and weaves and run amuck the rest of the time. Silly me wants her to follow my instructions.
 
Diva has that feeling. I'm just there to get in the way. She was missing a jump last week and just wanted run to the weave pole(which she loves) I kept circling her around trying to get her to take the jump and final on the third circle around she ran straight at me jumped on me and growled in a semi playful, semi frustrated way. I guess she was telling me to get my act together.:lol: A member of our class who happens to be a judge told me, "you not on the same page as a team yet, in fact I don't think your reading the same book.":lol: So true. If it was up to Diva she just do all the contacts and weaves and run amuck the rest of the time. Silly me wants her to follow my instructions.

That sounds so funny- jumping on you and telling you off. and not even reading the same book............:winkgrin::lol:
 
Back
Top