Homemade jumps?

No agility venue will permit a dog under 1.5 years old, 18 months, because of this. A GOOD, experienced, trainer will also be aware of this and not permit you to jump your dog at full height.

Safety for the dog should be your PRIMARY concern at all times during performance events.

AKC age is 15 months, NADAC is 18 months. those are the only two that I know about as that is what we will be competing in.
 
To make 3 jumps:
3 ten foot pieces of PVC ( our desired wighth.)
6 pieces of wood and a tool to make a hole through the wood
Jump cups

Cut 3 3ft pieces from each of the bars. Cut each piece of wood with a hole that will fit your PVC. Attach jump cups. T

This is what I build for Nellie
 
AKC age is 15 months, NADAC is 18 months. those are the only two that I know about as that is what we will be competing in.

CPE, TDAA and USDAA are 18 months. I'll admit I didn't read the AKC rule book for age and just assumed it was in line with everyone else. Edan was 3 years old when he did his first AKC trial so I didn't worry about the age requirement.
 
Are the jump cups the piece that you put the cross bar in? That is the part I can't find and hate to order a bunch when I only need maybe 8 of them.
 
Yes, the cups are the piece the jump bar sets in.

I'll be honest with you, when I built my first few sets of jumps, I thought the same way, "I only need 2 pair (12 and 16 inches) for each jump, why buy the strip". I ended up replacing all my single cups with the cup strip I linked to earlier in the thread.

A few reason for that, (1) first and foremost it was easier since it just snapped onto the upright quick and easy; (2) because all the other cups I wasn't using were still there, it more accurately simulated a jump he'd see in a trial. Since I was planning on trialing, I wanted things to be as close to realistic as I could make it for practice.

Ultimately though, whether you have 1 cup or the strip of cups it doesn't really matter.
 
UKC allowes to start competing at 12 months but their jumps are lower. AKC and CPE are 15 months old.
There is much more to know about jumping than correct height so depending how good your classes going to be I would suggest getting book by Linda Mecklenburg Developing jumping skills. Very good info. There is also books/ DVD by Susan Salo but I am not familiar with them.
Che on his own jumps 3 feet high ledge from sit position. He at almost 18 months still jumps 16" even that for AKC we would need 20"
 
Are the jump cups the piece that you put the cross bar in? That is the part I can't find and hate to order a bunch when I only need maybe 8 of them.
Yes. For mine, (it requires power tools or a LOT of patience) I used PVC tees and cut them in half so that there is a cup. Others have used strips (14.95 from Clean Run) and still more have used those giant paper binder things.:biggrin2:
 
I would suggest looking through the clean run site. I am sure that if your dad is a builder he will be able to see how the items are made and build you some jumps. My parents have an entire standard agility course that my dad made by looking over the equipment from Clean Run.
 
Che on his own jumps 3 feet high ledge from sit position. He at almost 18 months still jumps 16" even that for AKC we would need 20"

Holy moly Che must be tall. Koji is pushing 18" and jumps 16".

Looks like the questions were answered. Whatever you do, make sure the poles will fall off pretty easily if they get hit. I had a jump where the poles weren't sitting in the cups right and it wouldn't fall easily. It was just a concern for me. :) So I returned it (yes, I'm too lazy to build it myself).
 
she is one year and 3 months, so for now ill stick with 12 inches i guess. Thanks for all the tips. My parents are going to minot on the weekend (north dakota) and im gonna get them to go to menards and pick up the piping there. How many jumps do most of you have or need to have? i was thinking 3?
 
Back
Top