hopping after spay

How's she doing this morning? Still hopping or has this subsided? Don't forget there are stitches inside and out. Are the stitches on the skin absorbable or do you have to take her back to have them removed?
 
Olive was a little better this AM after spending all night in MY bed :biggrin2: I felt so bad for her she, I had to do something. She still did a little hopping during the day, but by the time it was time for her meds, it was bad again. So, tonight, she'll be in my bed tonight. If I could keep her from jumping, running, etc I think it would be better, but she's really high energy....
 
It's tough keeping them still. I finally just gave up on them.

Hopefully she will heal very quickly.

One of them, I think it was Noah, tried to play his surgery and make me feel guilty when he yelped or moved in pain. Of course, he was the first I had had who had had surgery.
 
Olive was a little better this AM after spending all night in MY bed :biggrin2: I felt so bad for her she, I had to do something. She still did a little hopping during the day, but by the time it was time for her meds, it was bad again. So, tonight, she'll be in my bed tonight. If I could keep her from jumping, running, etc I think it would be better, but she's really high energy....

Glad she was doing a bit better this morning.

It really is hard keeping those high energy girls quiet. I remember how tough it was with Lexi. I finally just set up her ex-pen and her crate in the living room and basically put her in it for several days straight. She wasn't happy, but I brought her treats and games and sat with her and she figured out she wasn't going anywhere for a while.
 
. Give it a couple of days - I think you will find by tomorrow or Monday she will be better.

You were sure right about this! Yesterday, Monday, Olive became 'herself' for most of the day. Let me elaborate: chewed two of my shoes, chewed one of hubby's shoes (all this accompanied by joyful running all over waving said shoes), completely destroyed two rolls of TP, tore the cover off of the book I'm currently reading, took kleenex from waste basket and shredded it all over (twice, two waste baskets), dumped the cat water and food over (twice), took a throw off of my reading chair and ran off with it,...well, I could go on and on. While I'm cleaning up one thing, she's off messing up another thing. And all the time she has this 'look what I can do' look on her face. Olive is better, but now I'M exhausted! :lol: Towards the end of the evening, she was picking her back leg up a little, but it was nothing like she had done over the weekend. Whew...what a relief!

Thank you to everyone for your support. When it's my furbaby, I get really concerned.
 
Ya gotta love a Sheltie - when they are sick, they worry us. When they are well, they drive us to distraction, literally. Glad she is so much better.
 
Please watch the incision for signs of a reaction to the internal stitches. It usually happens about a week after the surgery. You often will see blistery bumps forming at the site. It happens as the stitches start to dissolve. If you do see them start up, get over to the vet for some help. Just so you know, most dogs won't have this issue but most vets don't mention the possibility either.
Glad to hear she is doing better. I wonder if she had some internal swelling that caused her to be painful. Honestly, except for initial pain meds on the day of surgery I have never had to administer anything afterwards so her displaying signs of pain makes me wonder about swelling.
 
Please watch the incision for signs of a reaction to the internal stitches. It usually happens about a week after the surgery. You often will see blistery bumps forming at the site. It happens as the stitches start to dissolve. If you do see them start up, get over to the vet for some help. Just so you know, most dogs won't have this issue but most vets don't mention the possibility either.
Glad to hear she is doing better. I wonder if she had some internal swelling that caused her to be painful. Honestly, except for initial pain meds on the day of surgery I have never had to administer anything afterwards so her displaying signs of pain makes me wonder about swelling.

Thanks for the advice; even though I worked for a surgeon for many years, I never considered a reaction to the dissolving sutures. Duh...:lol: When I had her at the vet two days postop when she began hopping, I was told that swelling was about what they would expect (whatever that means). She is not bothering her incision any longer, but there is still a little hopping. She is most definititely more comfortable, so I'm hoping for the best. I never had a dog have postop pain from a spay or neuter before, either. Strange...
 
I'm only gonna throw this out there,becuase we had this very issue of hopping with Earnhardt,afr his neuter years ago.

But when he was on the table,his legs were tethered open with strapping. He favored one leg more than the other when he was home. And of course back then, we were not aware his hips would be comprimised.

Today at 9 years of age,he needs total hip replacement,his dysplasia is so bad.
Just a thought,I'm not sure in females,or even vet practices when they have them on the table.
At any rate,I am glad she is doing better.
 
I'm only gonna throw this out there,becuase we had this very issue of hopping with Earnhardt,afr his neuter years ago.

But when he was on the table,his legs were tethered open with strapping. He favored one leg more than the other when he was home. And of course back then, we were not aware his hips would be comprimised.

Today at 9 years of age,he needs total hip replacement,his dysplasia is so bad.
Just a thought,I'm not sure in females,or even vet practices when they have them on the table.
At any rate,I am glad she is doing better.

This is exactly why I had her back at the vet two days after her spay. I knew they tied the legs back for abdominal surgery. The vet assured me that the tethering of the hind legs is loose; the legs 'want' to splay out on their own. Olive sleeps on her back a lot, so I know her legs easily fall to the side. I think/hope there will be no residual effects. Yesterday she was much better. I only see a little hopping, and when she does it, her leg is pulled up trying to scratch her incision. This leads me to believe that the pain is coming from there, although at this point, I'm not certain 'pain' is the right word--maybe a pulling or an itching.

None of this has stopped her from doing things she wasn't supposed to do after her spay: running, jumping, general craziness. :lol:
 
Back
Top