How do you keep teeth clean?

Wow you're doing an amazing job with their teeth Lisa, they are PERFECT :yes:.
Monty mostly eats soft food as he doesn't like anything too crunchy or hard. He's also not a fan of teeth brushing so it can be a little hard work haha. He had a little plaque at the top of a few teeth so the vet cleaned them when he was under getting his front teeth removed after the accident.
There's some great tips in the thread for me to try to thanks everyone!
 
Willow had been getting plaque buildup even though we were brushing daily. We didn't have an enzymatic toothpaste. In the last month, since her Spring booster shots, we've been using the kelp and have switched to an enzyme-based toothpaste and we now brush her teeth twice a day, once after breakfast and once just before bedtime. We use gauze for one and the toothbrush for the other. Willow's teeth have been showing a lot of improvement. I think all the remaining plaque will be gone by the time another month rolls by. They are really tremendously better under our multi-point attack on plaque.
That’s great news Glenn! The more you can do to keep the teeth clean longer to avoid a dental the better! Piper is 6 now (hard to believe!) and his teeth are still good.
 
Willow had been getting plaque buildup even though we were brushing daily. We didn't have an enzymatic toothpaste. In the last month, since her Spring booster shots, we've been using the kelp and have switched to an enzyme-based toothpaste and we now brush her teeth twice a day, once after breakfast and once just before bedtime. We use gauze for one and the toothbrush for the other. Willow's teeth have been showing a lot of improvement. I think all the remaining plaque will be gone by the time another month rolls by. They are really tremendously better under our multi-point attack on plaque.
Good for you. We also use Plaque Off, we get it from Chewy. Ann recommended it, it seems to work for plaque. Sandstorm still has to get two teeth removed, gum recession problem, but he's 12.
 
Teddy gets his teeth brushed once a day and I get smoked cow femurs from my local butcher shop. He cuts them into about 14 inch pieces for me.I buy 5 or 6 at a time and freeze them. Right now it is his doggy popsicle,he will work on getting everything off the bone which takes about 2 days after it thaws. The vet has not wanted to do anything with his teeth and say they look good .
 
Teddy gets his teeth brushed once a day and I get smoked cow femurs from my local butcher shop. He cuts them into about 14 inch pieces for me.I buy 5 or 6 at a time and freeze them. Right now it is his doggy popsicle,he will work on getting everything off the bone which takes about 2 days after it thaws. The vet has not wanted to do anything with his teeth and say they look good .
My guys get a chicken foot (frozen) daily. Those bones do wonders for their teeth! Even Blueberry loves her chicken feet although it does take her longer to eat ... I’m wondering if girls are just more careful eaters lol.
 
Anything I can do to avoid anesthesia is a good thing, As Teddy's human anesthesia is the one thing that scares me even for me. So I won"t do it to him unless truly needed
I agree 100%! I have a sister who is constantly having elective surgeries (tummy tuck most recently) and it scares the heck out of me! The less times my dogs go under the better!
 
Back
Top