How to fix hound ears?

TME

Forums Regular
hi all!
Sherlock is 5 and a half months now and we've had his ears taped since we got him. We let them loose earlier this week and he has a serious case of hound ears:/ is it too late to fix? I'm not sure how they even got set so low
 
2017-07-26_12-46-06.png 2017-07-26_12-46-06.png This is a good website to help...
http://www.yankee-shelties.com/sheltie-ears.html

My Laddie's ears are low too and I did a poor job of taping in the middle! to keep the ears high on the head. My bad!
I believe you are not too late to fix Sherlock. Sadly, Laddie is too old to do anything about it now... good luck!
callieears5a.jpg
 
I had a puppy with serious hound ears at 4 months old. I struggled with them until 6 months trying to prop them up. I was told to keep the ears taped to tip in the standard position, which I did. Tape will give them more support than glue, which I normally prefer to use. I stuck with the tape until one year of age and her ears are perfect now. So don't give up! If they come out, don't wait to put them back in. They can be trained.
 
I don't think that 4 1/2 months is too late to correct the ears. When Piper was young the breeder had braced his ears. Have you contacted the breeder to get her to help you or tell you what to do?
 
thank you all for the quick responses! The breeder showed us how to tape the ears (we used to just glue them with previous shelties) and we've been doing that for two months. I think we just didn't tie them close? And then glued them to far down so his ears tipped more than half. Oops!

I glued them like the link showed (thank you ghggp!). Sherlock definitely doesn't like me right now but fingers crossed
 
Put breathe right strips in his ears.
Place a piece of tape. Cut a breathe right strip in half and place on top of the tape. Then make your roll and put on the top of the breathe right strip. Fold the ear down and hold and massage the ear to warm it up. It will help the ear stick as the tape adhesive melts as it warms. Now glue the ears together on the top of the head. I would not give up till the puppy is around eight months or so. It takes awhile for the cartilage in the ear to harden and set.
 
Back
Top