How to use a rake?

Thanks, Barb!

On a related note, do you have any tips/tricks for containing the loosened fur? When I am done grooming, the living room looks like a fur bomb exploded. I am often completely covered and there is plenty more fur floating in the air and on the floor. Is this a question of technique or is this just a fact of life for living with sheltie? :lol:

First I lay out an old sheet on the floor and put down my lazy-susan grooming table. (Have you seen my grooming table??? I can set on the floor or a counter. It has an arm to hold the pups upright when I need it....but best of all, it swivels, so I don't have to move! I just spin the dogs!) Then I just have a plastic shopping bag on stand by. As each brush gets filled with fur, I use the comb to scrape it off into the shopping bag.

The sheet just goes into the wash when I'm done. It captures 99% of the fur. I shake it outside and then into the washing machine.
 
First I lay out an old sheet on the floor and put down my lazy-susan grooming table. (Have you seen my grooming table??? I can set on the floor or a counter. It has an arm to hold the pups upright when I need it....but best of all, it swivels, so I don't have to move! I just spin the dogs!) Then I just have a plastic shopping bag on stand by. As each brush gets filled with fur, I use the comb to scrape it off into the shopping bag.

The sheet just goes into the wash when I'm done. It captures 99% of the fur. I shake it outside and then into the washing machine.

Thanks, Barb! That's a good idea. I have an old flannel sheet that should capture the fur very well. I'll have to sneak it by my husband to put it in washer, though--he worries even when I put my fur-coated clothes in that the fur will end up plugging up the machine or drain :razz:

I have seen your grooming table--impressive! However, I'm not very handy and my husband is even less so so I have to do it the old fashioned way.
 
Pauline - check out the Pet Supply House. They have a turntable grooming table.

I stole my idea from that. Unfortunately the table is too small for most Shelties....but it was my inspiration! I don't even remember what gave me the idea of having a table that turned....but I do remember googling and finding this. And then I just adapted from there.

p.s. the base of the table is made by Lee Valley tools if anyone is interested.

http://www.renspets.com/edemco-lazy-susan-table-f980-477

p.s. Pet Supply House was bought out by Rens Pets not very long ago.
 
Oh my! :eek2:

It gives me an idea, though...if we could design an adaptor to attach brushes/rakes/slickers to a vacuum so that all the loosened fur could be sucked right up, we could make millions! :lol: (OK, maybe just thousands)

Lets work on that! Or maybe just a big vacuum kennel that sucks all the fur out in what big swoop! Slurp!
 
I stole my idea from that. Unfortunately the table is too small for most Shelties....but it was my inspiration! I don't even remember what gave me the idea of having a table that turned....but I do remember googling and finding this. And then I just adapted from there.

Oh, too bad it is too small! Although it makes me giggle to imagine my 34 lb Marlowe spilling over the edge :lol:
 
Back
Top