I feel so bad....

Baby steps - start by handling the paws and each toe for a day or two. Get yourself comfortable with them and then bring out the tools. Let your dog sniff them good for a time or two before, then place the clipper on the toe nail but don't cut. Do this for a couple of days until you feel comfortable. Then do one paw. The next do another paw. etc. Work your confidence back up slowly.
Thanks, we know we have to do it-we never did our shepherds nails, thank goodness our dogs don't jump up on people!
Karen
 
:lol: Barb, you kill me sometimes!

You should have seen both our faces when he leapt up with the dremmel hanging off his butt, trying to shake it loose! I was horrified and rooted in my spot. Then he tried to drag it away, and then I finally mobilized to remove it.

If looks could kill......
 
nail question

You should have seen both our faces when he leapt up with the dremmel hanging off his butt, trying to shake it loose! I was horrified and rooted in my spot. Then he tried to drag it away, and then I finally mobilized to remove it.

If looks could kill......

:lol::lol::lol:

I was just wondering..Yogi's nails grow really fast and always look long. Of couse they are black and he is foot shy so makes cutting them a nightmare. Quite early I was advised by a breeder to cut them back frequetly and not to worry about cutting quicks. I did this f(frequent cutting, NOT cutting into the quick) for several years while he was showing a lot but it did not make a huge difference, nails still looked long, just seemed to grow quicker, a bit like shaving makes hair grow quicker than leaving it! Then I stopped showing him reguarly and only cut his nails fortnightly, sometimes only every three weeks. He was more relaxed as the ordeal was less often but his nails didn't seem any LONGER for it. Another breeder recently told me that some dogs just have longer quicks, it dosn't matter how frequently you cut, their nails will always be long. Revel has slow growing nails and I do them once a month on average just to keep them in good condition. Both are fed the same food, have the same excersise and no glaring confirmation issues which might account for varying growth/wear. So what I'm asking after this long post is do some dogs just have naturally long nails?
 
Indy does too. His toe nails are constantly poking out.

But the quick grows at the same rate as the nails too. So for dogs that have quick growing nails, its even more important to stay on top of them. Once the quick grows to the point where you no longer trim the nails back and stop the click, click, click sound, you are toast.

The only way to fix it at that point is slow grinding with a dremmel or nail file. Or biting the bullet and cutting the quick (that's horrible for the dog). My forever pup ended up with a couple of nails that started to curl due to my own negligence.

My recommendation....no less than every 2 weeks, weekly even bette - for trimming the nails.
 
Back
Top