Im doing something wrong.

From my research I've learned that overeating in shelties can be a real problem They'll eat as much as you feed them although I'm sure there are exceptions. My Fergus is one that eats very little and won't eat more if you offer. Then I've got Baxter the chow hound. I know how how ended up weighing almost 60#. That being said I wouldn't worry too much about Trapp right now. As you said he's growing a lot and is very active. I'm sure he's burning up those calories. I'd just keep a close eye on his weight and if you notice he's getting a little pudgy then I'd cut back just slightly on his food.
 
When can I introduce something like frozen green beans to Trapp? He has an unbelievable appetite. I have already upped his food another 1/4c. He just seems hungrey. I am feeding him his full amount in the morning. Then I split what would be his supper meal,and giving him part at lunch. He devours every morsel within minutes.

He is very active all day,running,playing,wreastling with Earnhardt,and I'm sure his needs are way differant than Earnhardt's. But it has been a very long time since we have had a young pup. And he is one that I think if left to his own means..he would eat right thru a bag of food if left unattended.

His poo is fine,no loose stools whatsoever. Could it be that he just has a fasination with eating..or is it that he is a growing active puppy?

MBFrench, I guess as long as he is not overweight you don't need to worry. When he starts putting on weight you have to change his diet.
That is how I look at it. I take Cassie to vet to weight rather often (every 2 months or so). They don't charge it.
 

MBFrench, I guess as long as he is not overweight you don't need to worry. When he starts putting on weight you have to change his diet.
That is how I look at it. I take Cassie to vet to weight rather often (every 2 months or so). They don't charge it.

I would stick to pure puppy food for now. After one year, you can look at beans, carrotts, pumpkin to supplement if pup looks like weight is an issue.
 
OK, TY so much! I am getting it. I thought they were frozen solid that's why I was confused. You take a part out to feed "for now". Are they "eatable" right from the freezer?? Or should I keep in a room temp. for awhile before serving her??

my pups like them frozen - I pour straight out of the bag and into their bowls :smile2:
 
It takes longer to eat frozen peas or beans too!
She would stop eating her beans once they thawed, and refused even frozen beans once she discovered frozen peas. ( not really hungry, just loved to eat! )
She also loved to chew on ice cubes.:wink2:
 
Puppies always require more than the amount called for with adult dogs. As long as your pup is getting the recommended amount he should be fine. If he gets more one day and less another day, that's ok, too. It won't hurt them to be a little hungry once in a while, either. And with dogs, it's hard to tell - are they really hungry, or do they just want to eat? Don't forget the treats and little extras that come when training. They count toward calories, too!

Food for animals can be a form of entertainment, too, just like for us humans (eating when bored, for example).

A healthy weight for a dog seems way too skinny to us humans, I think. You are suppose to be able to feel the ribs through the skin and see the waistline. I am constantly checking Maddie's ribs. Having 2 overweight cats, I know how difficult it is to get an animal to lose weight once it's there.
 
It takes longer to eat frozen peas or beans too!
She would stop eating her beans once they thawed, and refused even frozen beans once she discovered frozen peas. ( not really hungry, just loved to eat! )
She also loved to chew on ice cubes.:wink2:

Wow! How interesting. OK, now I am more than clear how to feed Cassie a frozen food. LOL
 
Back
Top