Injured paw :(

So sorry to hear about Miko! And your poor DS. What a freak accident. I hope it's an easy fix on Monday. Sending prayers for all of you.
 
:no: :no:, so sorry, poor Miko! Hang in there...how is your DS taking all this?

Well DS is only 10 and can't be left home alone, so he had to come to the vet with me yesterday. He was in the examining room for a minute and then as soon as Miko started to show signs of being in pain, he went out to the waiting room.

Then, when he heard be telling SO, over the phone, what the diagnosis was and that it could end up being very costly, DS said "Now I feel even worse". :(

The only bright side in all of this is that DS leaves for Hawaii with my dad & step-mom tomorrow morning, so he won't be here to see and hear what happens over the next week. His mind will be off it and he'll be having fun in the sun and surf.

I was just telling someone, the other day, how great DS is with Miko... how he pays so much attention to him... plays with him for ages... loves him so dearly... I'm not sure who I feel worse for in all of this... DS or Miko?
 
Oh I'm sorry to hear the toe is dislocated. I'm crossing my fingers that once re-set that it won't be an issue again.

Keep us posted.
 
Another setback this morning....

I don't have the slightest idea what happened exactly... Miko was in the kitchen just walking along and all of the sudden let out a big yelp... Now his nail appears to be even more twisted to the side and his paw is bleeding. (unfortunately, I didn't notice the blood right away and now it's all over the area rug in the living room :( )

Anyway... it definitely looks like he'll be losing the nail as well. :no:
 
Oh no! So sorry to hear this. I think if I were you I would wrap his paw in some gauze with vet wrap if you have any and keep him crated or confined until you get him to the vet tomorrow to avoid any further damage. I had to do this one time when I cut a nail of Barkley's way too close and it wouldn't stop bleeding. Wrapping it might help keep it stable.
 
Thanks Ann.... We haven't crated Miko in over a year (since he was about 6mos old)... so I had to race out today and buy him a new crate. (@ 19" and 35lbs... I didn't buy the one with the picture of a sheltie on it!! LOL... he got the one with the picture of the boxer)

I don't have any gauze, but he's now crated and laying quietly. He'll spend the rest of the day that way and hopefully all will be sorted out tomorrow.

After this most recent incident, it seems to me that the injury is more just his nail rather than the whole toe. I've palpated his toe and moved it around... that doesn't seem to bother him. It's really only when you put pressure on his nail that he flinches. I have a feeling that his nail was 1/3 pulled out while playing with DS. Whatever happened this morning pulled it out another 1/3 (thus the bleeding). Hopefully the vet can just remove it completely tomorrow and xrays will show that his toe is ok.
 
I hope that's the case, Andrea. I will say that in my experience, nothing bleeds like nails! Barkley's bled for two days off and on until I finally got him to the vet (where they did nothing more but bandage and vet wrap him). I hope you're right about the nail...I'm no vet, but I think that's an easier fix.

Fingers, paws and toes are crossed!! :lol:
 
this happened to Suzi last year. i have no idea how, but her right back nail was sticking out weird and was painful. looked to be at least half off and twisted. took her to the vet. vet removed the nail. was almost like instance relief. the nail never grew back.
anyways, i truly hope all goes well. and is a easy fix
 
My lab had done something similar. He fell off the front porch and ripped a nail halfway out. It bled like crazy for a bit (thank goodness for pressure an septic powder). We went into to the vet the next morning to have the nail removed, but he had actually chewed it off (along with the bandages and vet wrap I had put in his paw). They cleaned it up, gave him a shot of antibiotics and pain meds, and wrapped him back up. The wrapping again did not last the night. He was fine once the nail was out and started healing.

Hope it all goes well at the vet this morning.
 
Back
Top