Elei
Forums Enthusiast
Poor Kip has an itchy skin problem. It started almost 3 weeks ago. It’s mainly on his chest between his front legs, arm pits, and some on his tummy. He is super itchy and his skin is slightly reddened and irritated in areas, with some flaking and hair loss. Not much. The rest of his coat and skin still looks great. I gave him a few oatmeal baths, and when that didn’t help took him to the vet last week.
Unfortunately the vet didn’t know what was wrong. She said that it was mild enough that a skin scraping would probably be negative, so didn’t do one. She thought it could be allergies or could be skin mites. He’s getting Benadryl for 10 days to see if that helps, but so far it’s not helping. We also switched to a different flea and tick product in case it’s mites.
I’m going to get some medicated shampoo from the vet next week. I wish I knew what was wrong so we could treat it effectively. He hasn’t had any diet change, and he gets salmon oil everyday. The only environmental change is the eucalyptus trees and guinea grass are blooming, and the guinea grass is really tall. Guinea grass is really irritating (it gives me a very short lived rash), but I’m not sure it would cause so much itching.
I’m wondering if this warrants testing for hypothyroidism? I’ve never had a Sheltie with that condition, so I should research it. He’s also been swimming a lot, and I’ve read that can cause a skin infection from too much moisture
I have a feeling that I’m going to be back at the vet soon for further diagnosis. Sigh...
Unfortunately the vet didn’t know what was wrong. She said that it was mild enough that a skin scraping would probably be negative, so didn’t do one. She thought it could be allergies or could be skin mites. He’s getting Benadryl for 10 days to see if that helps, but so far it’s not helping. We also switched to a different flea and tick product in case it’s mites.
I’m going to get some medicated shampoo from the vet next week. I wish I knew what was wrong so we could treat it effectively. He hasn’t had any diet change, and he gets salmon oil everyday. The only environmental change is the eucalyptus trees and guinea grass are blooming, and the guinea grass is really tall. Guinea grass is really irritating (it gives me a very short lived rash), but I’m not sure it would cause so much itching.
I’m wondering if this warrants testing for hypothyroidism? I’ve never had a Sheltie with that condition, so I should research it. He’s also been swimming a lot, and I’ve read that can cause a skin infection from too much moisture
I have a feeling that I’m going to be back at the vet soon for further diagnosis. Sigh...
Last edited:
