Ivermectin?

I do use Heartgard -ivermectin on my shelties and have before I knew their MDR1 status. It is safe at the dose in heartgard even for MDR1 dogs. Remember all heartworm medications are a problem at high doses in dogs with MDR1 mutantions and all are safe at the low doses.

The reason that Ivermectin has such a bad rep and the others don't is because people misuse it and give undiluted 1% cattle ivermectin to their dogs and get the dosage wrong just like in this post. Undiluted you are overdosing by something like 830%. You have to dilute it. I have not done the calulations because I don't not recommend it especially in anything with a herding dog in it..
 
I do use Heartgard -ivermectin on my shelties and have before I knew their MDR1 status. It is safe at the dose in heartgard even for MDR1 dogs. Remember all heartworm medications are a problem at high doses in dogs with MDR1 mutantions and all are safe at the low doses.

The reason that Ivermectin has such a bad rep and the others don't is because people misuse it and give undiluted 1% cattle ivermectin to their dogs and get the dosage wrong just like in this post. Undiluted you are overdosing by something like 830%. You have to dilute it. I have not done the calulations because I don't not recommend it especially in anything with a herding dog in it..

So you're saying even after researching, learning how to dilute it, people still can't do it correctly? It really doesn't look like rocket science to figure out the correct dilution. LOL I guess it's a personal decision and how confident you feel mixing your own solution. But glad to know the amount of invectmin in heart guard and also if dosed correctly won't hurt anyone.
 
The reason that Ivermectin has such a bad rep and the others don't is because people misuse it and give undiluted 1% cattle ivermectin to their dogs and get the dosage wrong just like in this post. Undiluted you are overdosing by something like 830%. You have to dilute it. I have not done the calulations because I don't not recommend it especially in anything with a herding dog in it..

This is EXACTLY the reason that I will never recommend Ivermectin that is not already dosed out on an open world wide forum.

It is very easy to overdose AND you will kill your pet if you overdose it.

So you're saying even after researching, learning how to dilute it, people still can't do it correctly? It really doesn't look like rocket science to figure out the correct dilution. LOL I guess it's a personal decision and how confident you feel mixing your own solution. But glad to know the amount of invectmin in heart guard and also if dosed correctly won't hurt anyone.

If you are comfortable that everyone in the world will read your post, dilute correctly, and give the proper dosage than that is fine.

Personally, I don't trust that someone would not make a fatal mistake. That is not something I would be comfortable with.

It is a personal decision, but I just want to make sure that people are aware that they can kill their pet by overdosing on Ivermectin. MDR1 dog or not.
 
Last edited:
Sentinel is our back-up plan. I just went to the vet, though, and he had enough Interceptor for me for one year, all dogs. So, I am fortunate.

Sentinel would be my back-up plan as well. I just bought a 6 month supply of interceptor from my vet, so I have enough to get me through September. Maybe I should've bought a year supply. I forgot about the shortage. :rolleyes2:
 
This is EXACTLY the reason that I will never recommend Ivermectin that is not already dosed out on an open world wide forum.

It is very easy to overdose AND you will kill your pet if you overdose it.



If you are comfortable that everyone in the world will read your post, dilute correctly, and give the proper dosage than that is fine.

Personally, I don't trust that someone would not make a fatal mistake. That is not something I would be comfortable with.

It is a personal decision, but I just want to make sure that people are aware that they can kill their pet by overdosing on Ivermectin. MDR1 dog or not.

That is it in a nutshell. Do what you want but if you injury or kill your dog it won't be my fault.
 
That is it in a nutshell. Do what you want but if you injury or kill your dog it won't be my fault.

Well, my dogs don't get it either way, so it's no harm to mine :) But like I said before, most people around here buy it at the feed store and dilute it and their dogs aren't injured from that... now does the toxin take a toll month after month no matter what form? that's up for debate...

If I were going to give such poisons to my animals, I would probably find a vet I trust and make sure I understand the diluting process. It's like essential oils, you need to understand them and know what you're doing before you start trying to apply them.

I wouldn't ever under any circumstance give it to a puppy the age the original poster posted about. Especially since they were taken away too early and probably have a weekend immune system because of that. Milk is so important so many reasons, one being helping the immune system. I'd be putting that puppy on a very strong pro-biotic and probably colostrum and building that immune system up before you give it any chemicals or vaccines. She was taken away about four weeks early and didn't get a chance to have those fabulous nutrients for nearly as long as she should have :(

Let us know what you choose!
 
Back
Top