Jocu- senior? seizures?

Seizures are always scary to see in a dog and I am sorry you and Jocu are dealing with this. Were his seizures full grand mals or what are called focal or partial seizures? Does he bounce back fast after each seizure with basically no vivible postictal state? Treatment medications may be different depending on the severity/type of the seizures.

I have had 4 dogs in the past with seizures...Yoda's started when he was just over a year old and were full grand mals. Mickey's were partial seizures, not sure when the started as we adopted him out of a shelter when he was around 6 years old and no medical history came with him. Then our Kinnon developed seizures when he was 14... they were due to a brain tumor...our Sunshine at 13 years old also had seizures in just the last week of her life...also brain tumor.

If Jocu is showing no other physical/movement/mental changes then it is VERY doubtful that a brain tumor is the cause...and an MRI would be the only way to dx a brain tumor. Could he have ingested something that caused these seizures...it is strange that they would suddenly appear at his age and repeat 3x in less than 24 hours. What tests were run that you are awaiting results from?
Trini
Bloodwork and urine....
Nothing unusual
 
I remember when my childhood sheltie had a seizure in my arms. It was maybe 3 months before my Mom had him put down. I was terrified. we rushed him to the vet, and they found..nothing. Devin was going blind and deaf, and had balance issues. At the time (and in the midwest), there really wasn't much to do for him. I don't think he had any more, but he could have had them previous or after and we just didn't see them. I hope there are no more, cause the feeling of helplessness is intense!
 
Strange question but do you have mushrooms in the area?

Not suggesting it isn't a seizure disorder but Katy has to be watched constantly because she will eat anything. Clearly I missed a couple of mushroom sessions because once I cleared and kept clearing the little buggers out of the yard her seizures stopped. I wouldn't have thought about the mushrooms but the Vet knowing her eating habits asked if she might have eaten some. At the time we said no but we went outside and sure enough there was a bumper crop growing in the yard. Now as soon as the spring starts I keep the yard clear

We were prepared to deal with seizures but its always best to rule out all other possibilities as well.
 
Strange question but do you have mushrooms in the area?

Not suggesting it isn't a seizure disorder but Katy has to be watched constantly because she will eat anything. Clearly I missed a couple of mushroom sessions because once I cleared and kept clearing the little buggers out of the yard her seizures stopped. I wouldn't have thought about the mushrooms but the Vet knowing her eating habits asked if she might have eaten some. At the time we said no but we went outside and sure enough there was a bumper crop growing in the yard. Now as soon as the spring starts I keep the yard clear

We were prepared to deal with seizures but its always best to rule out all other possibilities as well.
I haven't seen any but that is a good idea to check for them. we did have several days of rain last week so that is a valid possibility. Jo is a grazer so who knows.....
 
Back
Top