Keratin Cysts/Rookie

Rookie is developing Keratin Cysts. It seems his body is "prone to developing them." He had one removed (puncture removal) when he was about 15 months old (He's almost 4 yrs now) and that one has begun to come back as well. The new one however.. burst last week and it was OH so gross! Anyway..the doc suggests (but doesn't push) to have them removed surgically to make sure they don't come back. Initially when it first burst, I squeezed it out, and put Hydrogen Peroxide on it. After seeing the doc, we've been putting a steriod cream on them (only the one newer one has burst), and it has helped some..but I've been reading about using the spice "Tumeric" both topically OR internally. Our doc feels to use things like that is really only beneficial to the caregiver as it makes them "feel" like they're doing something. I've read many good results on it though? At this point, I think we're going to hold off on surgery and see if these little boogers become a persistent problem or not. Hoping "not," and that we can avoid surgical removal especially because if he keeps developing them and they're not "serious"...we'd end up with many surgeries and come on..how practical is that? Thoughts please?? I did change his food to Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey Grain Free, and added coconut oil to his meals. It's too soon to tell if the dietary change will help. Only been a week.

Totally try the turmeric. I just bought some a few days ago at the health store and plan to make a paste out of it as suggested and get some gauze to leave it on my dog.. It says they should shrink or even be gone within a few days so the results seem to be quick. Sure doesn't hurt to try.

Here's a list of all the things turmeric is good for if anyone else thinks it might help their dog.
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/20-health-benefits-of-turmeric.html and this talks about the benefits in regards to cancer and the studies done it. REALLY impressive to me: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/turmeric-health-have-a-happy-new-year_b_798328.html
 
Last edited:
I'm SO excited that I'm not trying it alone! lol..we can compare results ;-).. I have to say that I like the idea of making it into a paste with the e.v. coconut oil because I put some on the bump..rub it in a little, but then put a larger clump on the bump and the oil absorbs pretty fast because of the body heat. Also, be very careful of the tumeric because it will stain your clothing ;-). I'm also adding a nice bath with some new Aloe Vera shampoo..but this will be in another day or so. OH! Forgot to add that after I apply the paste, I let him lick my fingers ;-).

Please keep me posted on your results too. Rookie's bumps are gettting harder to find already. Don't know if it's coincidence...wishful thinking...or actual results yet ;-)..

Forgot to add that you may decide not to use the gauze. It absorbs pretty fast. Just pull the hair over it, hold them (I wrap Rookie in his blankie) for about 10 minutes to make sure it's absorbed so they can't lick it off ;-).

Lastly, I should mention I stopped using the steriod cream early last week..
 
Last edited:
Totally try the turmeric. I just bought some a few days ago at the health store and plan to make a paste out of it as suggested and get some gauze to leave it on my dog.. It says they should shrink or even be gone within a few days so the results seem to be quick. Sure doesn't hurt to try.

Here's a list of all the things turmeric is good for if anyone else thinks it might help their dog.
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/20-health-benefits-of-turmeric.html and this talks about the benefits in regards to cancer and the studies done it. REALLY impressive to me: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/turmeric-health-have-a-happy-new-year_b_798328.html

Just wondering how the tumeric is working for your pup? I ended up sprinkling some on Rookie's food 1 x a day ... started it about 4 days ago (including today) and I'm definitely seeing some improvement...but it's too soon to know for sure if it's due to the tumeric or if they would have got better anyway?? Using it as a paste ended up being messy and didn't seem to be doing much.
 
I'm definitely seeing some improvement...but it's too soon to know for sure if it's due to the tumeric or if they would have got better anyway?? Using it as a paste ended up being messy and didn't seem to be doing much.

Im not an expert but I don't think this type of cyst usually shrinks on its own, they certainly don't from my experience, in my animals they've only ever gotten bigger.
 
Back
Top