Lead Outs

Is there something that could be at the start that any of you would lessen your lead out for?

I lessen my lead out for curved tunnels. Bentley has always not been great at tunnels, and he still can be seen herding me, jumping, barking at me when I try to send him to a tunnel :rolleyes2:. It's just as easy for me to send him right in, and run quickly to pass him to set up the next obstacle while he's in the tunnel. (The same would be true for a chute, but I've never seen a course with a chute as the first obstacle).
 
Yep, tyre jumps and tunnels for me too. Tully used to miss the tyre all the time, and while she is better now I just dont want to trust it at a trial. And with tunnels, well there is always a chance she will go in without me, and a couple of times she has gone in the end closest to me - even tho she is sitting directly in front of the other end.
 
I lessen my lead out for curved tunnels. Bentley has always not been great at tunnels, and he still can be seen herding me, jumping, barking at me when I try to send him to a tunnel :rolleyes2:. It's just as easy for me to send him right in, and run quickly to pass him to set up the next obstacle while he's in the tunnel. (The same would be true for a chute, but I've never seen a course with a chute as the first obstacle).

I can't recall ever seeig a chute for a first obstacle either.I have seen more and more lately tunnels for the first one. Usally when there is a tunnel I end up doing alot of layering.
 
I can't recall ever seeig a chute for a first obstacle either.I have seen more and more lately tunnels for the first one. Usally when there is a tunnel I end up doing alot of layering.

The AKC trial I went to in May had a Chute for the first obstacle. From the comments here, I'm guessing it doesn't happen very often.

CPE doesn't seem to use the chute at all even though it is one of the approved obstacles.
 
Is there something that could be at the start that any of you would lessen your lead out for?

Tires and weaves.

Tires because up until the other month, he wasn't doing it. However, we kinda figured out why. So, seriously, I'd stand on the other side, at the middle of the tire and look through it. Lame, but made sure he'd get it. :)

Weaves because although I can run past him WHILE he's doing it, if I'm too far ahead BEFORE he gets in, he'll run right past them.

And I also don't lead out if things start to turn too much. Koji will run straight to me instead of taking obstacles. All things we're working on. Until we get it fixed, I just make do at the trials. I push him at trials, but not a lot. I'd rather run clean and baby him, versus pushing him and making him do things twice or three times (that's when he shuts down). I'm starting to learn his levels of tolerance, so I try to not pass that line and make it fun for both of us. I figure, class is where we work on things. :)
 
Weaves at the start would be too darn cruel. I still babysit Tully through weaves otherwise she skips the 3rd and 10th (not sure why those 2 but its always the same). Deska could care less if I am next to him weaving but I think he is focused on the potential treat at the end.

Good news - Tully did a standing stay at tonights comp. It was pouring rain and another dog had piddled at the start line, and I knew we werent going to Q (too many crosses for my vertigo) so I decided to give it a go. I went to the 3rd obstacle and she stayed where I put her. We did DQ (I got lost and she invented her own course) but we had fun. Not sure I would have tried it if we hadnt been talking about it. Guess its time to trust her a bit more.
 
Back
Top