Lead Outs

Since Ember is an advanced obedience dog, her lead outs stays are great. I can honestly say I don't think she would ever break. However, if I can I do running starts with her because she runs faster that way. Diva has a pretty good start line stay. She also does obedience too and has a highly proof stay but she is not 100% yet in agility, getting there though.:smile2:
 
Both of mine have also great lead outs. In Sting's two trials he had the perfect stay at the start and lead outs.
 
Tully has excellent start line stays, which she needs to so I can do a long lead out to allow her to get up speed and work away from me. .

Deska on the other hand was a problem. So many judges say "go" and of course Deska knows "go' from flyball so he is off. Now I dont bother with a start line stay just in case. One time I was walking out to the next jump and the judge called out "go when you're ready" and Deska heard "go" and zoomed past me.:rolleyes2: Several judges have had a laugh how well Deska listens to them! Of course if we trial now its only for fun so a lead out doesnt matter.
 
Several judges have had a laugh how well Deska listens to them! Of course if we trial now its only for fun so a lead out doesnt matter.

Ember has a tendenancy to do this in obedience. Sigh. It is not cool when you are trying to do a heeling patten and your dog is changing pace and stopping before you or doing finishes before you tell them. :( Massive point loss. One trial, She was ending the exercise on the judge command "exercise finished" and she would automaticly jump up into the air and hit me on the hip. After the third time I said to her you have to wait for me. The judge laughed and said "as long as she waits for me" Shelties too smart for their own good.:smile2:
 
Bentley is my little stay dog. We could walk to the end of the course if we wanted to and he wouldn't get up. Of course, that's not practical, but it's good for proofing!

I'm not sure about Lexi. She seems to have a great stay, even if she's excited. Stay is something we've worked really hard on. It puts you in a much better position when it comes to running.

PS Good luck to Phebe today!

yes, your two and Snap had the best stays- see stays are also good for pix- more reasons to learn :winkgrin: gotta get practicing :yes:
 
We have not trialed yet either, but in class and in practice, I can lead out 5 -6 obstacles and she will not move a foot. Sometimes in class, I will leave her at one end of the field and go back to my bag to get more treats and she stays in her spot. I have to say, she is pretty good with lead outs - so far, who knows what will happen in a trial with real excitement and nerves etc...
 
I can lead out two or three obstacles and do when the course requires it because of a tricky turn or approach. Usually I run with Edan because he seems to prefer it and performs better when we run together.
 
Those with good stays - do you a sit or drop or can your dogs also do a good standing stay? I'm asking because its winter here and Tully wont put her delicate behind on the cold/wet grass. Which would be ok if she did a standing stay, but she inches right up to the first obstacle, which is usually a jump. She can still take a jump that close, but I worry a judge is going to pull us up for crossing the start line with that long sheltie nose.
 
Those with good stays - do you a sit or drop or can your dogs also do a good standing stay? ...

I usually do a sit and occasionally a down, if the first obstacle happens to be something really exciting, like a tunnel. I doubt Phebe would hold a standing stay right now -- maybe later after we've done a lot more obedience work.

Even though AKC rules for the table are changing Sept 1 to only require 4 feet on the table for a 5 count, I'm going to continue to ask for a sit or down because pausing in the middle of a course without something to 'do' is hard for her. Now that I've thought about it, I think I'll change her table to a down, since that is what USDAA requires and it's possible we may try that venue down the road.

I don't know what to recommend about Tully's delicate behind. Seems to me that her Sheltie pants should offer adequate protection from the elements. :wink2:
 
still doing foundation class here, but i can go out two obstacles thus far...
I have also proofed stays a lot with coming back rewarding the stay
BUT he will NOT stay if I am out of his line of sight... ever
lol.. but I haven't trained that too much yet
 
Back
Top