Lepto and Lyme vaccines

Lepto for Minnie - we have many rats and mice even though we never see any

acc. my vet
Right now, there is no vaccine for the last dangerous ticks,

The regular ticks are available to remedy

But the new kind that goes into the brain is the dangerous one
and can rarely be cured.

I mean, I just read that a Danish company
has sold a vaccine license to the dangerous ticks
- for a whopping amount.
 
Last edited:
Lepto for Minnie - we have many rats and mice even though we never see any

acc. my vet
Right now, there is no vaccine for the last dangerous ticks,

The regular ticks are available to remedy

But the new kind that goes into the brain is the dangerous one
and can rarely be cured.

I mean, I just read that a Danish company
has sold a vaccine license to the dangerous ticks
- for a whopping amount.
We too have new ticks moving into the area carrying new and really awful diseases for humans. I hadn’t thought about them for dogs.
 
So, I’ve read a lot on these two vaccines and I thought I had decided but I’m going hopefully ask in a little different way.

What was the thought process for those of you who HAVE vaccinated for both?

I was pretty certain I would and then I questioned again. Luckily we had really really bad stay off the roads kind of snow so I had to cancel her appointment the other day.

For us—-

Lyme:
We live in NY. We have ticks. We have Lyme disease endemic to the area. I’ve pulled ticks off myself in February and off Watson in November. I know as long as there’s is no snow, like now, there’s the possibility of picking one up.

A friend of mine just lost his 6 year old lab to Lyme disease and I know several humans who have or have had it.

Lepto:
We live in the country. We have mice, squirrels, raccoons, skunks, deer, bear, Fox, and coyotes in our yard. Oh, and a beaver sometimes trying to dam up the drainage on the side of the house.

Roxy like to try to eat or drink any and everything. I’m sure all those animals have been merrily urinating their way through my yard.

Our clinic just lost a sheltie to lepto this summer. So, it’s in the area.

Wr travel. Down south. Up north. To wildlife refuges. Camping and not.

I feel like I should vaccinate for both. I know i have read the lepto was reformulated and is now sheltie safe. Roxy was scheduled to get the first dose of both together. Maybe I do them completely separate so if there is a reaction I know which one caused it? What exactly is the lepto reaction that they have had?

Here’s her most recent shot in the snow. View attachment 15293
Adorable! Minnie received those vaccines, lots of ticks where I live too, you can stagger the vaccines, that's what we did
 
All of mine get Lyme vaccines. When I first got Layla, the breeder was adamant: No Lepto! So none of mine have ever had it. We live in rural Virginia and have all the critters you'd expect. We also have a creek, which everybody drinks from. None have ever had a problem. I don't plan to give them the lepto vaccine -- but who knows? If I get a putty, I just might.
 
She did fine with rabies and her last puppy combo. Our doctor has said that they can support her through any reactions she might have a heck of a lot easier than an actual infection of lepto.
I think I’ll feel better splitting them even if it means extra trips to the clinic. Our vet is an hour away but the care my crew gets is well worth the trips.
Absolutely true!!
 
We got Toby both Lepto and Lyme (living in NJ - we have similar issues as NY)

We are one of the WORST states for Lyme's disease. I personally know at least five people who have gotten it and it's never pretty. My mom's dog actually ended up getting it some time ago. Sometimes, you can't even look outside without having a tick crawling on you somewhere. That one was an easy one for us because we love to take the guy hiking. He had no adverse reactions other than it seemed to be an uncomfortable injection but no affects after.


Same story goes for Lepto. We have a ton of foxes, raccoons, coyotes in our area and we noticed pretty quickly that he picks up/licks/drinks any water or anything that looks interesting.

He did have a mild reaction to the Lepto the first half of the booster but it was just some swelling - no vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea or anything that would suggest a massive problem. They had us give him Benadryl the next time around and he had no reaction at all after using that technique. We gave him the drinkable alcohol & xylitol-free children's benadryl.

We broke the Lyme's into two vaccines and the Lepto into three. We never gave them together as our vet knew that the collie family is very sensitive to immunizations. Ended up being a lot of trips to the vet all separated by three or four weeks but he had no reactions minus the one minor one - not even that lethargic either.
 
We got Toby both Lepto and Lyme (living in NJ - we have similar issues as NY)

We are one of the WORST states for Lyme's disease. I personally know at least five people who have gotten it and it's never pretty. My mom's dog actually ended up getting it some time ago. Sometimes, you can't even look outside without having a tick crawling on you somewhere. That one was an easy one for us because we love to take the guy hiking. He had no adverse reactions other than it seemed to be an uncomfortable injection but no affects after.


Same story goes for Lepto. We have a ton of foxes, raccoons, coyotes in our area and we noticed pretty quickly that he picks up/licks/drinks any water or anything that looks interesting.

He did have a mild reaction to the Lepto the first half of the booster but it was just some swelling - no vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea or anything that would suggest a massive problem. They had us give him Benadryl the next time around and he had no reaction at all after using that technique. We gave him the drinkable alcohol & xylitol-free children's benadryl.

We broke the Lyme's into two vaccines and the Lepto into three. We never gave them together as our vet knew that the collie family is very sensitive to immunizations. Ended up being a lot of trips to the vet all separated by three or four weeks but he had no reactions minus the one minor one - not even that lethargic either.
We did it that way also with Minnie. It took longer but was worth it. Here on Cape Cod many people have gotten Lyme disease, both my husband and I had to go on antibiotics because we got the rash after being bitten. Our environment here makes it a risk area for lepto also.
 
Back
Top