Limping Ian

Ya I’d second Sharon’s suggestion of putting him on a leash. The more he runs around the worse it’ll get later…whatever little progress he’s made will be gone.
As much as we hate to crate them sometimes we must. Way back when Piper hurt his shoulder I had to crate him and keep him on leash outside for over a month. I have pictures of those eyes pleading to let him out😂.
Did you feel his back leg to feel for swelling or heat? That might give you an indication of where he injured it.
If you should need a hock brace I have 2 of them😂…just saying.😁
 
Doing a lot better today. He still favors it after he has laid down for a while but walking is all four. Also he was out barking at the neighbor dog so circling was eminent. I called no response, I said 'cookies' and he came running. No limp all four paws. I figure one or two more days. And of course Spitfire is trying to stir him up.
 
Doing a lot better today. He still favors it after he has laid down for a while but walking is all four. Also he was out barking at the neighbor dog so circling was eminent. I called no response, I said 'cookies' and he came running. No limp all four paws. I figure one or two more days. And of course Spitfire is trying to stir him up.
Good to hear! Spitfire must be like Blueberry…if Finnie won’t play she’ll sit on his head or bite his paws. She’ll bug him until he’s mad enough to play 🤣
 
And gabapentin is good too…not as good as Metacam but can be used with dogs who have higher liver enzymes. My vet gave me a supply of gabapentin when Piper had high liver enzymes about 6 months ago. With his arthritis flare ups I was concerned about using the Metacam as is processed by the liver and he ended up having a flare up days after his second recheck (which was still high). Fortunately his third recheck 3 months later he was good but my medicine cabinet is now fully stocked lol…100 gabapentin and a big bottle of Meloxiden (our generic version of Metacam). Ask your vet for both…with Spitfire’s advanced age I’m sure you could justify the need. It helps to have them on hand!
 
I have Metacam, Trazadone and Gabapentin hidden away in the house for those 'just in case' times. But I have text access to my vet for questions and emergencies. I don't bug her so she knows if it's me, something is up.

If Ian's limping keeps up or returns, I will tll you that was Brodie's only symptom when he got Lyme's. Limp, I did crate rest and he 'got better' and then he woke up one morning a week or two later unable to move. I remember sending a video to Ann. Just something to keep in the back of your mind if the limp comes and goes.

Feel better Ian!
 
If Ian's limping keeps up or returns, I will tll you that was Brodie's only symptom when he got Lyme's. Limp, I did crate rest and he 'got better' and then he woke up one morning a week or two later unable to move. I remember sending a video to Ann. Just something to keep in the back of your mind if the limp comes and goes.

Feel better Ian!
Lyme occurred to me too. I don’t know how prevalent it is in your area but it’s certainly something to test for if the limp is persistent. My first exposure to it years ago was with puppy Barkley who we tested and X-rayed endlessly for a hind leg limp that ended up being Lyme.
 
Back
Top