Liquid diarrhea in almost-10-week-old Sheltie; eats grass, sticks, leaves

Sorry, I can't see your first post. But just wondered if you have wormed her? Puppies need worming every 2-4 weeks at that age. I know Kismet got diarrhea as soon as I missed one of her wormers, even by a couple of days. Wasted a couple of vet visits wondering why she was getting diarrhea - so embarassed when I realised I'd forgotten how often a pup needs worming.
 
Just found your OP! The wormer may take a couple of days to see results, but you should definitely do the full course and yes it's okay to give him a second treatment.
 
Thanks, everyone, for your advice and good ideas. We took him to the vet, as above; he has Advita (a probiotic) to take now and is frisky this morning. I spent yesterday afternoon and evening digging up the approximately 350 Mt. Atlas daisies we have. I've got about 100 done so far, so he can't go outside until we get his exercise area completely free of them. He still has diarrhea this morning just as before, formed and then liquid, but is drinking water and seemingly feeling good. Folks should know about those Mt. Atlas groundcover daisies; they are not on the ASPCA list or any other list that I searched, but there are too many daisy varieties and sub-species for ASPCA to list them all. They are anacyclus pyrethrum var. depressus. This is a great forum, and thanks to all of you!
 
Thanks, Caro. Yes, he's eating the breeder's food recommendation that's the same he's had, and he's being wormed. I'm sure it's the anacyclus; just another 250 or so to go! They sure were pretty; I looked on all kinds of lists before Fainly arrived and didn't find them. We'll call the vet again Monday if the diarrhea isn't better. Since he looks and seems to feel so good, I think we ca wait until then to see how it goes.
 
That is good information about the daisies, thank you! Who would think if they weren't listed they'd cause problems! It's good news that your pup has some firmness to his stool, even if some of it is loose, and that he's lively and active. Hoping he continues to improve!
 
Back
Top