Looking for a recommendation

My thoughts....I would think fiber and the amount of meat versus other things is what determines amount of poop.

These are my last foods I've fed.
The numbers is protein, fat, fiber, amount of meat ingredients before anything else

EVO Turkey/Chicken: 42/22/2.5/4
Orijen Adult: 38/17/3/5
Nutrisca: 30/18/7/2
TOTW Sierra Mtn: 25/15/4/2

For my two, they'd go once a day (maybe twice) and it was compact and small while on EVO and Orijen. With Nutrisca, they both started going 2-3x a day. Miko was going twice in the AM walk. And their poop was large!!! On TOTW, Miko is doing the twice in the AM again. When DH goes back to work, we're screwed. But Nutrisca was high in fiber, and TOTW is just a tad higher than the other two. So, I'm thinking size may be relevant to how much meat is in the food versus potatoes and other things (check out the first 5-8 ingredients) and amount of times going out may be a part of that, plus the fiber content.

With Acana Grasslands (what I'm switching to now), I'm hoping to see less amount of times to go, and less poop overall too. It's stats are as follows: 32/18/3.5/4. Acana Ranchlands is 31/17/3/3.

This should be interesting. lol. If you do switch to Acana, it is higher in calories, so watch their weight. I know I had to up Miko and Koji's food intake (which could also be a reason for going so much). But going to Acana, I should be able to feed them less again.

By all means this is NOT scientific in anyway. LOL. Just me trying to figure out what works for my boys too.
 
The numbers is protein, fat, fiber, amount of meat ingredients before anything else

EVO Turkey/Chicken: 42/22/2.5/4
Orijen Adult: 38/17/3/5
Nutrisca: 30/18/7/2
TOTW Sierra Mtn: 25/15/4/2

With Acana Grasslands (what I'm switching to now), I'm hoping to see less amount of times to go, and less poop overall too. It's stats are as follows: 32/18/3.5/4. Acana Ranchlands is 31/17/3/3.

That was actually really helpful! I like the idea of Orijen, but I'm pretty hesitant to go so high in protein. I'd like to keep it mid-20s low 30s, so that makes Fromm and Acana look pretty good.

Thought I'd add some of Fromm's stats here, too...though there are a couple different ones.

Grain Free:
Surf and Turf: 30/19/3/2
Beef: 30/18/3.5/2

Not grain free:
Pork: 24/14/3/2
Duck + Chicken: 24/15/3/2

And by the way, on TOTW, like Miko, Lexi is pooping twice in the mornings (once at 6:30 and once at 9:30). Not going to be good when I get a job!

Looks like you get the most meat sources with TOTW, followed by Acana if you want to stay at or below 30% protein (which I do).
 
Acana Ranchlands
No chicken (not even chicken fat), and 31% protein, 3% fiber (less pooping, you'd hope).

It's new, so I'm not sure how hard it'd be to find. Not sure about how rich it is, but typically, stores carry the 5lb sample bag (I think they cost like $3).

This food looks pretty good! I think I might add it to Bailey's rotation when it comes out. Right now she rotates between TOTW pacific and sierra, but I'd like to add another protetin to her mix. I'll probably try it out in the spring, when she is more active and will benefit from the higher protein. Thanks for posting.
 
Since Toby seemed gassy and Sadie gets yearly UTI's, I thought I'd try a grainless, high protein food to see if it made a difference.

I've been switching them to Orijen 6 Fish and so far so good. They're getting half/half right now (finishing off the last bag of Wellness) and I'm noticing less poop. Before it was twice daily, now its 1-2 times daily. They also love it like nothing else I've fed them. They hardly chew anymore and instead inhale it.

Orijen has some interesting info on their web site that made me feel better about the high protein. Its a bit of a read, but interesting. Definitely made me re-think some of my views about a dog nutrition's nutritional requirements.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/ORIJEN_White_paper.pdf
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/Myths_of_High_Protein.pdf
 
Since Toby seemed gassy and Sadie gets yearly UTI's, I thought I'd try a grainless, high protein food to see if it made a difference.

I've been switching them to Orijen 6 Fish and so far so good. They're getting half/half right now (finishing off the last bag of Wellness) and I'm noticing less poop. Before it was twice daily, now its 1-2 times daily. They also love it like nothing else I've fed them. They hardly chew anymore and instead inhale it.

Orijen has some interesting info on their web site that made me feel better about the high protein. Its a bit of a read, but interesting. Definitely made me re-think some of my views about a dog nutrition's nutritional requirements.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/ORIJEN_White_paper.pdf
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/Myths_of_High_Protein.pdf

Melissa, would you consider all of your dogs fairly active? I worry about putting a dog like Bentley on a really high protein food because he's not very active. Other than agility 4 times a week, he spends most of his time sleeping.

(I'm off to read those articles now-thanks!)
 
Melissa, would you consider all of your dogs fairly active? I worry about putting a dog like Bentley on a really high protein food because he's not very active. Other than agility 4 times a week, he spends most of his time sleeping.

(I'm off to read those articles now-thanks!)

Toby and Ginny are really active, Sadie isn't anymore since her stroke.

I was a bit concerned that she might gain weight, but it tends to be carbs that cause them to gain weight, not protein. So far Sadie's continued to lose weight and not gain it, I'm guessing because there's so much less carbs since its grainless (The articles talk about that a bit).
 
Ashley, I think Fromm and Acana Ranchland look pretty good. Let us know what you decide and if it makes a difference.

I recently switched Bailey to TOTW pacific stream and she is doing a little better on it. Her poop is smaller and she is going twice a day now. It also doesn't small as bad. On CN and Sierra Mountain, I could smell her poop a mile away. It was so awful. Since she switched to pacific stream, it's not as rancid. I don't feel like vomiting every time she goes. :lol:

I am going to go back to sierra mountain after two bags of pacific stream and then I'll try Acana Ranchland. I want her to be used to as many protein sources as possible.
 
Melissa, would you consider all of your dogs fairly active? I worry about putting a dog like Bentley on a really high protein food because he's not very active. Other than agility 4 times a week, he spends most of his time sleeping.

(I'm off to read those articles now-thanks!)

I know I'm not Melissa, but wanted to respond anyways cuz I'm nosy like that. :P

Miko is less active than Bentley. Heck, so is Koji. We don't do agility 4x a week, are you crazy! lol. Anyways, Miko doesn't do much of anything, although with DH home, he does follow him around more.

I could never keep his weight down, but once I went to grain free and even higher protein, his weight dropped and it was easy to keep it off. You just have to monitor their intake for awhile. Heck, even his dry itchy skin cleared up too.

I'm transitioning to Acana Grasslands right now, I'll keep you posted on how that goes. We'll need to eventually decrease their intake (versus TOTW SM). And I agree, on TOTW SM they make very stinky poop. Hopefully the Acana won't be like that, lol.
 
Thanks Randi and Cheryl. I think that once we get close to done with this bag of TOTW (darn, I bought the huge bag!) I'll try the Acana.

Right now they eat TOTW SM, and then for every day treats (not exciting agility ones) they are getting pieces of Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato (a friend of ours gave us a small bag for free). So I'm not really rotating, but they are getting two protein sources at a time. I like doing that because I don't have to worry so much about the transitions.
 
Back
Top