Looking for Traveling Tips

Randi had some great ideas.

Of course, I've come to realize that I'm a really OCD dog owner, so it may not be that way for you.

Most hotels that allow dogs are so-so on the cleaning. I've lowered my standards a lot since we've starting traveling so frequently with the pups :lol:

Anyways, you wouldn't believe the number of weird/disgusting things we've found under the bed, tables, etc. We don't let the dogs loose in the room until we've checked all the nooks and crannies.

I also never leave the dogs unattended in the room without being in crates. There's too much "gross stuff" that I feel like they could get into. I'd rather bring them with me and leave them in the car if I go out for anything.

Dogs sleeping on the bed is no problem. I think there are sometimes rules about leaving dogs unattended in the hotel, but I never worry about them because my dogs are typically quiet, and usually we're surrounded by other owners doing the same thing.

I used to bring water for the dogs, but now I don't. They've never had a problem (knock on wood). But I do bring bones and toys so we can keep busy when we're in the room.

The only thing that's a little different at hotels for me (and I know Missy is a bit like Lexi) is that if there is a lot of noise at night, Lexi doesn't sleep. At every door slam or hall noise she sits up to alert me (and to worry a bit). It's nice if you can leave a radio or white noise machine on to help. I haven't done it yet, but I've always meant to.
 
I stay in hotel rooms with the dogs for agility shows and for general travel.

Most of the hotels I stay at don't have a rule against the dogs being loose in the room but one of them does have rules against leaving the dog alone in the hotel room - it doesn't matter if they are crated or not.

I suggest having a crate in the room. If you go out for an extended period of time it's best to crate them so you know they aren't going to damage anything in the room. Even if they don't normally chew or scratch things, this is an odd location and it could possibly put them on edge. Crating keeps the dog safe and your mind at ease.

Since you are there for a flyball tournament, you most likely won't be in the room when they come by to clean the room. However, if you ever travel for other reasons, you definitely want a crate. You also want to check if you can have the dog in the room while it's being cleaned. Some of the hotels I've stayed at do not want the dog in the room while it's being cleaned, even crated. Their reasoning goes from someone on the staff may be allergic to ensuring safety of the staff.

Basically call the hotel and ask what their pet policy is before you reserve a room Regardless of the policy, always have a crate you can keep your dog in in case its needed. It's a safe place for them and could be comforting in a strange place.
 
Motel veteran here....
I have a cheap plastic tablecloth that I put on the floor before putting the crates on it. I have a King size flat sheet to put on the bed because they do jump on it and I don't want paw prints or hair left behind.
if you do need to leave the room and leave the dog there- use the Do Not Disturb tag to be sure that the cleaning staff doesn't come in when the dog is there and you aren't.
I haven't had many trials where I was in a motel and had crates in both places....

when we went to Huntsville, I only planned to take the brown dogs to the trial so they had 2 trial crates and then we had 4 crates at the house for sleeping and for the pups to stay in while we were at the trial. All 6 crates were soft crates; metal and plastic get heavy when you have to haul them around.
I also have stuff to cover the crates at the trial so they don't get overstimulated by all the noise/movement, etc.
 
if you do need to leave the room and leave the dog there- use the Do Not Disturb tag to be sure that the cleaning staff doesn't come in when the dog is there and you aren't.

Ah yes! Good call. I just keep the Do Not Disturb sign up the whole time we are there. Usually it's just for a weekend so I don't need new towels or anything.
 
Shay and I are veteran travelers. Everything has been covered. The only thing I do in hotel is I walk for pottying way way way more than normal. Shay both pees and poos on command which is helpful, but he never completely empties his bladder. Just to keep it safe, we go out a lot a lot. I don't crate in hotel, but I don't crate at home -- I do in the car though.

As for being in hotel ALONE. Done it more times than I can count and have never had a problem. I did have one time a hotel with a sliding patio door and had a security arm/brace and while I was on patio it dropped down and locked me out. Thankfully it was the first floor and someone brought a stick to lift it out of place through the gap and let me back in (not real helpful safety feature obviously).

I never ever ever leave the dog in room alone. I do always leave the do not disturb. I do have a dog in room one I use too. I investigate dog friendly patio restaurant and eat there to do take out. I usually have him in the bathroom with me when I shower though he is so good now he just sacks on the bed (get extra sheet for covering). And do check under the bed for surprises.

Have a good time!
 
Just for clarification- Missy will probably not be left alone in the room for more than a few minutes while I get ice or something. If I go to get food, she's going with me and I'll probably drive through. I am too paranoid to leave her alone in a motel room in a strange town.
 
We had a tote that was for just this purpose. It contained cleaning supplies - in case of accidents, a grooming kit including shampoo and a hand blow dryer - in case of mud, extra towels and medical kit including things like lacto bascillus caps in case of bowel upsets, benedryl for insect stings etc. I also had supplies to turn the shower into a hand held and the cleaning supplies to clean the bathroom after because with westies, white is right and the maid shouldn't have to clean up after my dog.
They were not allowed to sleep or get on the bed even if they did at home. Never a problem as they were trained to sleep in crates on occasion. A kong filled with goodies from your tote usually will help.
We hotel trained them. Others opening doors usually caused your own door to "humf" so we put towels on the bed, placed the crate with dog on top and turned on the TV if we had to leave them. Dogs were only allowed out of the crates when we were with them in the room. Sometimes the maid would come in to clean and we didn't want her to meet up with an unfamiliar dog that is loose or to have the dog bolt down the hall. More than once, a hotel has given someone a key to a room already inhabited. We actually walked in at 2 am into a room at the King of Prussia in Pennsylvania and backed out just as quickly! We could see feet at the end of the bed! Another lady I know opened the door to have a mastiff bolt at her in an unfriendly manner when we were in Calgary. Make sure you use all the safety equipment on the door!
Prepare to laugh at some of the things your doggie stay can teach you. Have fun and good luck.
 
WOw these are great tips. I am going to print them and keep them in the animals files. I would have not thought of a lot of these things. You guys are pros at this travel thing.
 
I've unfortunately stayed in a million hotels with my dogs.

- I always leave them in the car until I do a "pill check." So far I have found two Advils (one in each of two different rooms), a packet of apple cider mix, a pair of dirty undies, five socks, and innumerable bits of candy, crackers, and other foods. I'm super careful checking near the bathroom sink and bed because that's where people take their pills.
- I bring a flat sheet to put on the bed and I actually encourage them to stay up there because in any pet-friendly hotel there is ALWAYS carpet powder on the carpet and I don't want them lying in that. Not to mention how gross the carpets can be.
- I never leave them alone in a hotel room. I'm just not comfortable trusting the staff not to do something stupid if I'm not there. That eliminates the need to drag a crate to the room, too.
- Stand back from the door when waiting for the elevator in case there's a reactive dog in there.
- There are very often rodent poison boxes on the shrubbery around he perimeter of a hotel so watch out when pottying the dogs.
- My dogs are so used to hotels by now that they pretty much ignore hallway noises, but if you think it might be an issue, there are lots of white noise apps you can get for your phone that would help.
 
Now get her award patches (your district rep probably has them)
http://www.sheltieforums.com/showpost.php?p=243002&postcount=13

Oh and sign up for LaQuinta rewards. I have not cashed any in yet as I usually take the motorhome but there are times that I do the car for various reasons.

We didn't get any patches... I asked our club owner about it, but he said they were too expensive. As an alternative, they have these little keychain things.
Photo Jan 21, 1 42 37 PM.jpg
I believe they come in different colors, the colors I got are just the ones I fished out of the pile. But when I go to get the next one, I'll try to get a different color so I can have a variety. I have no clue what I'm going to do with them. I currently have them on a ring hanging in on my office bulletin board. I think I would have the same issue with patches.. what to do with them?? lol

And those keychains kind of remind me of AA chips..
 
Back
Top