Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Loose stool

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Sunflower77, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Sunflower77 - Now when I read corbinam's post and I think back to the big problems with Minnie's very loose stomach.

I also managed to get control of her stomach with a food Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Low Fat and then I immediately switched to Fromm Adult gold and now 2 years later Minnie's stomach is still like "every dog owner's dream" always the same the 1-2 times she goes potty a day

I simply dare not change food.

But I am always very careful not to give her other treats than her pills and tiny pieces of dried bread.

Ann likes this.
  2. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2019
    Thank you for sharing. Looks like different dogs react to the same food differently. My puppy’s tummy disagrees with something in Fromm Puppy Gold. I’m transitioning her to Acana Singles lamb and apple. She hasn’t had loose stool for three days since I put her on Acana.

Caro likes this.
  3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    My dog was one who had issues with chicken kibble as a puppy. Limited ingredient lamb kibble and a good powdered probiotic really helped her. Good luck! I hope the Acana Lamb helps.

Sunflower77 likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I've started feeding my boys fermented vegetables (it's good for the gut, lots of probiotics). I actually make my own, super easy and better than giving store bought probiotics. I ferment using Masontops and Pickle Pipes (it's a silicone lid that allows the gas to escape when fermenting) with mason jars.
    This last batch I did asparagus, cabbage, carrot and broccoli (takes 20 days) and I give them 1-2 tbsp per day. They love it.
    If your interested in doing it, just google fermenting with salt. Although you do use salt by the time it's finished there's virtually no salt left in it, it's been broken down by the lactic acid that is produced by the fermentation process. In the end you have lovely pickled veggies that are loaded with probiotics which help to regulate the gut (good for us too!).

Sunflower77 likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    No doubt about it... Riley, Piper, and Finnie are spoiled! They have their own personal chef!
    Every dog should live so well!

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2019
    My girl did beautifully on ACANA Singles. However, I got a sample of Orijen Tundra (no chicken) yesterday and I mixed it with his Acana lamb LID. And this morning, she had very loose stool. Orijen Tundra seems too rich for her digestive system. I’ll try it one more time. If it still doesn’t work, she’ll go back to Acana exclusively. I completely understand those who dare not change their dog food. Cleaning soiled pants on a sheltie is no fun at all.

Update: she's still on a mixed diet (half ACANA Lamb & Apple and half Orijen Tundra) and has fully transitioned off Fromm Gold Puppy. She no longer has loose stool. Her stools is very firm and will not leave residue on the grass. I'm very happy with the result. I still don't know what in Fromm Gold Puppy doesn't agree with her. Maybe she's sensitive to chicken. But I'm not sure.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Hanne, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.