Losing Teeth?

Figured I'd check out Koji's mouth again. Got some photos of his weird teeth. These are on the bottom, behind his canines. Is this normal? Do you think he lost something from there? They've always looked like this, but I just realized he has 3 on one side and 2 on the other.

Um, ignore his dirty teeth. :o

disclaimer: these are huge photos, so if your internet connection is slow, sorry.
more teeth
other side

Those almost look like ankylosed baby teeth. Maybe some of our vet members can come up with something. Gums look a little odd, too.:confused2:
 
Figured I'd check out Koji's mouth again. Got some photos of his weird teeth. These are on the bottom, behind his canines. Is this normal? Do you think he lost something from there? They've always looked like this, but I just realized he has 3 on one side and 2 on the other.

Um, ignore his dirty teeth. :o

disclaimer: these are huge photos, so if your internet connection is slow, sorry.
more teeth
other side

The one labeled more teeth looks normal, just looks like the canine crowds in by the divot.

The one labeled other side-yep he has an extra tooth can't tell if it is any adult MP1 or 2 or if it is a baby from the pictures. The 3rd one stick out at a weird angle could be the extra one or retained one.
 
The one labeled more teeth looks normal, just looks like the canine crowds in by the divot.

The one labeled other side-yep he has an extra tooth can't tell if it is any adult MP1 or 2 or if it is a baby from the pictures. The 3rd one stick out at a weird angle could be the extra one or retained one.

Dr. Shelli,

In your humble opinion, do you think this is due to his early neuter? I think he was 4 month. I really do wonder how much of him physically was affected by that. I mean, my breeder said he wasn't supposed to go oversized, but was supposed to be near 15.5-16". His nose never filled in, he's super leggy, no coat whatsoever, and funky teeth. Those small ones btwn the canines and molars barely break the skin.
 
Those almost look like ankylosed baby teeth. Maybe some of our vet members can come up with something. Gums look a little odd, too.:confused2:

Just curious how the gums look odd......and if it was because I had my fingers in his mouth, pushing up against them, etc. He wasn't happy with this and so I had to lodge my fingers in just right so I could show them w/o his tongue/lip in the way. Of course, he bit down right when my finger was btwn all those teeth. Ouch!
 
Dr. Shelli,

In your humble opinion, do you think this is due to his early neuter? I think he was 4 month. I really do wonder how much of him physically was affected by that. I mean, my breeder said he wasn't supposed to go oversized, but was supposed to be near 15.5-16". His nose never filled in, he's super leggy, no coat whatsoever, and funky teeth. Those small ones btwn the canines and molars barely break the skin.

No it doesn't have a thing to do with his early early. His dental issues are not that uncommon even in intact shelties. Shelties are known for funky teeth, missing teeth, rotated teeth, peridontal disease etc. Look at the mouths of some of the "show dogs" in our breed sometimes scary stuff.:eek2: That's one of the reasons you don't breed to pictures, amoung other reasons.

My breeder told me Birch wasn't go oversized at 8 weks either. :wink2: By 10 weeks the questioning began. The coat is genetic, some have more or less facts of life. Again Birch is a smooth collie compared to brother Leo.

The legness could be a product of the early neutering but again could be genetics.
 
Just curious how the gums look odd......and if it was because I had my fingers in his mouth, pushing up against them, etc. He wasn't happy with this and so I had to lodge my fingers in just right so I could show them w/o his tongue/lip in the way. Of course, he bit down right when my finger was btwn all those teeth. Ouch!

I can only go from my point of reference (my 6 mo old Olive) and her gums don't come up so far around the tooth as your pup's do. Because Olive is having trouble getting rid of her baby teeth (the needles! :lol:), I've been spending a lot of time looking in her mouth. Now, just one more to go! I'm thinking string, a door, and my husband! :winkgrin:
 
No it doesn't have a thing to do with his early early. His dental issues are not that uncommon even in intact shelties. Shelties are known for funky teeth, missing teeth, rotated teeth, peridontal disease etc. Look at the mouths of some of the "show dogs" in our breed sometimes scary stuff.:eek2: That's one of the reasons you don't breed to pictures, amoung other reasons.

My breeder told me Birch wasn't go oversized at 8 weks either. :wink2: By 10 weeks the questioning began. The coat is genetic, some have more or less facts of life. Again Birch is a smooth collie compared to brother Leo.

The legness could be a product of the early neutering but again could be genetics.

Oh wow. I didn't know that about Sheltie teeth. LOL. I guess I'll not make fun of Koji and his half grown in teeth anymore. Poor guy.

Um, aren't you Birch's breeder? Co-breeder? :P BTW, where's his height at now? Over, under, still borderline?

Well, from what I've seen in her line, they aren't leggy. But then, I haven't seen all the grandparents, greats, great greats, etc. i wonder what Trax's teeth look like. He's half Koji's sister (from another litter).

Thanks for the Sheltie lesson. Learn something new everyday. :)
 
I can only go from my point of reference (my 6 mo old Olive) and her gums don't come up so far around the tooth as your pup's do. Because Olive is having trouble getting rid of her baby teeth (the needles! :lol:), I've been spending a lot of time looking in her mouth. Now, just one more to go! I'm thinking string, a door, and my husband! :winkgrin:

I totally understand. Koji had two sets of teeth for the longest time. I used to shake it for him to get his baby ones to fall out so his adult ones wouldn't come in funky. It's like Koji's teeth never came through the gums.
 
.Um, aren't you Birch's breeder? Co-breeder? :P BTW, where's his height at now? Over, under, still borderline?

.

Well techinally no, I am not.:lol: Rachel owns his dad and his mom was leased. So only Rachel is his breeder.:smile2: But seriously he was not looking oversized on the charts and then off he went.

He is currently 16 3/8" and 22 lbs of solid muscle at 7.5months. He is still high in the chest and will likely drop some but I doubt he is done growing.
 
Back
Top