MANIC itching and licking and smelly

I'm leaning more towards a yeast infection than anything else. It's the "smell" part of the description. I've seen greasy, fat, gross thryoid dogs, but I've never had one smell.

Get the dog off of grains and starches. I would personally put the dog on a raw diet, where you have 100% control of the ingredients, until you can stabilize the ick. Then use that as a baseline and slowly add other foods in until you figure out what it is.
 
Ok, here are things to try: gradually change food to cooked protien-no grains at all. Make sure it is just lamb or kangaroo or venison- some protien he has never had and potato- cooked never raw pots., and green beans- cooked not canned, nothing else. No treats or bisquits or supplements as previously mentioned. Nothing but these three ingredients. Give this some time- at least a month. This way you will know if he can tolerate these three foods.Give this at least a month and see what happens. Only add 1 food at a time and see what happens. If he is still scratching just as much you will need to try a different protien, if still itchy try sweet pot instead of white pot. Try a different veg. if still not better. No oatmeal bathes-oatmeal is a grain and might be an problem if grain sensitive. I would stop all the bathing and rinsing -it is probably drying out his skin and isn't helping so far. Try aloe gel applied to broken out skin areas. Brush coat and skin well to stimulate blood flow and lymphatic system, just don't brush broken skin and scab areas or pink inflamed skin. Are you burning a wood stove ? This could be an issue. Are you positive there aren't any fleas ? Just 1 flea can set off scratching in sensitive dogs and around the ears is a flea spot. And yes ,make sure thyroid levels are WNL for a sheltie. Carpet sprays and fabric softners can contribute to itchiness. Is your dog laying in the grass ? Don't allow it. You will have to play detective and see what makes a difference. As a food sensitive,itchy can't use fabric softners, smell sensitve, can't sit in the grass person these are just a few adjustments I have made, but all of us- dogs too, are different and are bothered by different stuff. Has an antibiotic been tried or an antifungal ? Just some random thoughts...
 
Welcome to the forum, you've now gotten every bit of advice from soups to nuts.

That's hard, I know....because who do you trust? Who's advice do you take?

I'm gonna say what I know, which is probably not enough.

Allergies - most common relate to meat proteins, predominately chicken or beef. For these dogs you move to other less" common" proteins, like venison, bison, rabbit, turkey, duck, lamb.

The second most common allergens are grains and glutens.

There is alot of debate over allergens and how to treat. The only advice I can give at this point is to search for root cause. This is a difficult and painful process. And it starts with weaning off your current diet.

Personally, I would transition to a grain free diet with a protein either than chickken or beef. It might take a week or two to transition to see if it is working.

Those that feed raw, regardless of the type of protein will say you'll have less allergies. I'm not sure about that. I've nothing against raw but must raw is chicken and beef.

Anyway, just wanted to help in your eye spinning
1 :hide
 
I'm not a vet but I too would check the thyroid. My poor cat was going crazy with the licking and scratching. Her eyes, ears and mouth were red and she licked the hair off her flanks and ears. We did radioisotope therapy and she is a happy, healthy (and hairy) girl again. Wishing you and Charlie well!
 
Beau use to itch and scratch all the time, even after getting a bath, I finally switched his food to grain free and I've noticed he's completely stopped itching.
 
Welcome to the forum, you've now gotten every bit of advice from soups to nuts.

That's hard, I know....because who do you trust? Who's advice do you take?

I'm gonna say what I know, which is probably not enough.

Allergies - most common relate to meat proteins, predominately chicken or beef. For these dogs you move to other less" common" proteins, like venison, bison, rabbit, turkey, duck, lamb.

The second most common allergens are grains and glutens.

There is alot of debate over allergens and how to treat. The only advice I can give at this point is to search for root cause. This is a difficult and painful process. And it starts with weaning off your current diet.

Personally, I would transition to a grain free diet with a protein either than chickken or beef. It might take a week or two to transition to see if it is working.

Those that feed raw, regardless of the type of protein will say you'll have less allergies. I'm not sure about that. I've nothing against raw but must raw is chicken and beef.

Anyway, just wanted to help in your eye spinning
1 :hide

Actually environmental allergies to pollens, dust, grass, dust mites, fleas and mold etc etc etc are way way more common than all the food allergies combined.
 
I'm not a vet but I too would check the thyroid. My poor cat was going crazy with the licking and scratching. Her eyes, ears and mouth were red and she licked the hair off her flanks and ears. We did radioisotope therapy and she is a happy, healthy (and hairy) girl again. Wishing you and Charlie well!

Cats are usually hyperthyroid and dogs are usually hypothyroid. 2 totally different diseases.

However, testing thyroid couldn't hurt but I would suggest seeing a veterinary dermatologists. Dr. Torres at the U of M is wonderful.
 
Actually environmental allergies to pollens, dust, grass, dust mites, fleas and mold etc etc etc are way way more common than all the food allergies combined.

You are quite correct. Thanks for the reminder.

A number of people of suggested hypothyroidism. I have a dog with that disease and the skin funk that goes with it. It mostly manifests on the back and stomach. Not the ears

Maybe if you can describe the in more detail the areas that are itchy? Is he losing fur? Is his skin flaking off? Is it red and swollen? any evidence of hive like symptoms? Anything else to describe him?
 
Sounds like a process of eliminations.

I can raise my hand and state I had a setter that had such a stench. He lost his hair on his chest and underneath. At the base of the hair it looked like cotton candy where he had hair. Very flaky. Bald spots were wet/greasy.

Sure not a vet or close to it, but when I read a post like yours, I wonder if its the immune system.

Its such a heart wrenching situation for you and your sheltie, and when something goes wrong, we want answers. When answers can't be found its so frustrating.

All positive thoughts coming your way. :hugs
 
Back
Top