Meds not safe for Herding Dogs

We can test for that now. Washington State has a simple DNA test to let you know the status of your dog. My shelties are all normal/normal.
 
Thanks...I still think it's a good idea to be aware, having more info, rather than less, is always worthwhile. My dogs have not been tested and I guess it's easier to avoid certain meds if other options are available. if there's no option, then you have to do what works. Just my thoughts...
 
Thanks for this, Amy. I found the list very interesting...especially the inclusion of doxycycline on it. This drug is given to all our dogs for Lyme disease, and several of mine have take it for extended periods. Fortunately, there have been no side effects. But it's good to have this for reference. Thanks for posting it!
 
We can test for that now. Washington State has a simple DNA test to let you know the status of your dog. My shelties are all normal/normal.

Not just the MDR1 testing, but about drugs that inactivate cell pumps and cell enzymes and there is no test for this...these are commonly used drugs.
 
Amy my Max takes one of these meds. I am going to have him tested. Thank you so much for sharing. It's a start, I have hope again, my husband and I are going crazy trying to figure out what we did to cause this. My homemade treats, etc. thank you,thank you, thank you :)
 
Thank you Sheltie nation, you are my hero. I know I'm flipping out, but I am so scared and. Ow there is hope for my boy. :)
 
Back
Top