NAFA Flyball at Shocco Springs

Awe, yay Sca!! Poor BCs, though. I've never seen a collision other than Duncan being used as a speedbump because he crossed lanes at practice. Not that it stopped him in the future...
 
I mess up constantly Dusty is actually a her. I hear what you are saying and when you are striving for low times it hurts but both Dusty and her owner are a joy to be around which more than makes up for it. Also she is pretty consistent with no mistakes.

That makes a huge difference. The Westie that runs with Deska is always running off to the shade or crossing lanes so points are few and far between. Mind you it does mean I don't need to push Deska, because with a 14sec dog on the team it doesn't matter if Deska adds a second to his time. Although he has been start dog at the last two comps and that really gets his time down because he just loves the beeping of the lights.

I've never seen a collision other than Duncan being used as a speedbump because he crossed lanes at practice. Not that it stopped him in the future...

I love that - a speed bump. I've released Tully way too early a few times and the team dogs usually just jump over her - exactly like a speedbump so I'll have to remember that line.
 
One frame that I grabbed in the whole movie I am making for Saturday. No bias towards a certain dog here though :lol:
 

Attachments

  • Flying-Sca.jpg
    Flying-Sca.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 16
Nice jumping style. It always amazes me when I look at photos just how far away from the jumps the dogs launch. When you are running them you don't really notice.
 
Here is a long video from the 3rd. It is about 15 minutes in 720HD with the whole team scattered in so be warned :wink2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZyFcSfA98

Also two other things I forgot. First the scary, I was driving back on the two lane state road and someone came up blinking their highs. Well I am higher in the motorhome but had my dims on and am pretty sure the lights are not that bad to oncoming traffic so was puzzled. About a tenth of a mile down the road I found out why, there was a dog running down my lane :eek2: I was able to brake enough to miss him but NOT fun at all as motorhomes don't stop fast.

The second is not bad but one for the ladies though my camera phone is fuzzy
 

Attachments

  • necklace.jpg
    necklace.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
Interesting to watch. Lots of questions to ask

I noticed a few of the dogs slide into the box - I guess they can do that on an indoor surface, wonder if its good or bad for the joints.

The lady with the whippet really sandbags doesn't she? Over here there is a rule about holding your dog back for any advantage (eg so they won't cross over or for the sake of another dog) you can lose the heat or race or be disqualified and they are really strict about it. It had us all in a panic when it started because I used to do it when Deska was running after one of the unreliable dogs or a dog that dropped balls, now the unreliable ones have to run last so we don't get accused of sandbagging.

Sca's cross over was pretty good! I must say I don't think it was his fault. Do they let you do a full run after a dog from another team has crossed over? I would always take the opportunity if they do. After that happened Sca was very distracted and it would probably have helped to give him a run on his own just to get him focussed again. Mind you when he loses focus he also seems to get really fast - if only you could harness the naughty!

Btw - don't they hand out penalty cards there for crossing over? Whenever it happens here the judge holds up a coloured card like in soccer and the handler gets written up.

One more question - what are the balls you are using? They look small and brightly coloured and I am always on the look out. Most of the balls I can find have either green or blue on them (with another colour) so its often hard to see either in the box or if it drops onto the grass.
 
Interesting to watch. Lots of questions to ask

I noticed a few of the dogs slide into the box - I guess they can do that on an indoor surface, wonder if its good or bad for the joints.

The lady with the whippet really sandbags doesn't she? Over here there is a rule about holding your dog back for any advantage (eg so they won't cross over or for the sake of another dog) you can lose the heat or race or be disqualified and they are really strict about it. It had us all in a panic when it started because I used to do it when Deska was running after one of the unreliable dogs or a dog that dropped balls, now the unreliable ones have to run last so we don't get accused of sandbagging.

Sca's cross over was pretty good! I must say I don't think it was his fault. Do they let you do a full run after a dog from another team has crossed over? I would always take the opportunity if they do. After that happened Sca was very distracted and it would probably have helped to give him a run on his own just to get him focussed again. Mind you when he loses focus he also seems to get really fast - if only you could harness the naughty!

Btw - don't they hand out penalty cards there for crossing over? Whenever it happens here the judge holds up a coloured card like in soccer and the handler gets written up.

One more question - what are the balls you are using? They look small and brightly coloured and I am always on the look out. Most of the balls I can find have either green or blue on them (with another colour) so its often hard to see either in the box or if it drops onto the grass.
Not sure on the slides in. There is two groups of dogs and only the BC/Lab group is all veterans. To be honest video seems to bring out areas to change that you didn't think were there :lol:

That was the whippets first ever race. Basically we were holding her back until the other team was 100% done so short of a screw up we lost every race. Interestingly despite that we were not last. That was NAFA which does not have singles. Sca was last but never got held back other than singles with UFli. This time he ran second/third and it was only his second team race. We had a LOT of new dogs so at two races he was a veteran :eek2:

No full runs that I have ever seen after a cross, not sure if that dog can but I seem to recall it once. It would be worth asking about it as that would help Sca. There was more chaos than I noticed at the time which did not help him. On Sunday he has less excuse.

No cards. It is up to the judge but if the dog is aggressive a cross gets you yanked NOW. Generally 3 in a day is time to go, sometimes a judge will tell you but our team just pulls the dog as a policy to avoid a dog getting 'tagged' as a chaser or problem. Sca probably could have run the last race but there is also the bit that once he goes off enough it is best just to give him a break. His brain goes from Flyball to woohooo! party mode and he is done. The coach says "sometimes he just has his own agenda"

Balls vary, some use tennis balls, Sca use big foam balls and some of the little dogs use little foam balls (I am betting the new pup will). Not sure where we get them but they are similar to the stress balls (not the gel ones though) that people had a few years back.

Thanks for the comments.
 
I haven't had time to watch the 2nd video, but the 1st one had me LOL'ing.
Your comment about the Norwich and then actually seeing her was a riot!!!! She's darling… but I can see how that might be frustrating for people who are very competitve (eh hem… like me!!) :wink2:
 
I haven't had time to watch the 2nd video, but the 1st one had me LOL'ing.
Your comment about the Norwich and then actually seeing her was a riot!!!! She's darling… but I can see how that might be frustrating for people who are very competitve (eh hem… like me!!) :wink2:
Multiple teams. Sca zooming over a lane is an instant DQ while Dusty just adds time :wink2: Oh and for those that do not know by having Dusty in all of the other dogs jump at minimum height. Of course a small enough Sheltie like say Duncan would accomplish the same AND be fast.
 
Back
Top