Name That Bug

I do typos, grammatical errors etc all the time. It is not like we go over this stuff as if we were submitting scientific papers for publication.

In actual fairness, however, the two threads before this one were 'Plants tics don't like', and 'Illegal tic collars'. Posts on the threads, by the OPs and others, contained the same spelling.

I don't think those were all typos. I think many people are confused about the spelling of the little bugs, especially with the Preventic collar. So I just offered a little clarification. -Dr. Mac
 
All you pedantic whatever people must LOVE my posts :o

Sometimes I reread my posts the next day and I shudder......I have no idea what was going through my mind at the time. :hide I do know what WASN'T going through my mind.....grammar and spelling!

Same here. It was right in my head but didn't make it to my fingers.:o
 
All you pedantic whatever people must LOVE my posts :o

Sometimes I reread my posts the next day and I shudder......I have no idea what was going through my mind at the time. :hide I do know what WASN'T going through my mind.....grammar and spelling!

I refer to it as Sheeplish.... I speak it also :winkgrin:
 
Its called a brain fart. Most of the time when I goof up I am in a hurry.
I proof read sometimes afterwards, I know I wasn't drinking wine when I typed that. Just a brain fart, and in a hurry to catch up.

I keep hitting ESCAPE but I am still here. :razz:
 
OK, I have to say it even at the risk of being called a pedantic jerk. :hide
The little bugs are ticks. A tic is a twitch on your face.
I don't know why its called a Preventic collar.Presumably more poetic or something for marketing.
Not correcting anyone in particular, just seeing many posts by many different people on several threads. -Dr. Mac

That's ok -- ticks make me tic!! :lol:
 
This forum has members from all over the world, different ages and educational backgrounds.

Many members are posting in English when it is not even their first language.

Some people are in rush, half asleep, post from their cellphones, iPads, post quickly from work, etc and may not catch their typos.

My point is no one on this forum should be judged because of their spelling, grammar or writing skills. This is a dog forum not a writing forum.

I do not want anyone to feel embarrassed or reluctant to post because they are afraid their words will be criticized and called out by other members.

Whether you write tic, tick, ticks, tix, etc., we all know what you're talking about.

Remember, if you have issues with the way someone posts or you don't like the way they type, you can block them or simply don't read their posts. You can also use the private message feature and PM a member.

In my opinion, there is no reason to call out anyone for their writing skills on a pet forum and to do so is very insensitive. This isn't grade school guys, we're adults. No need to make anyone feel bad or have to defend their posts, whether it's intentional or not.
 
Learn to accept that most people may not spell well or have correct grammar. Expect even less from people on message boards. NOT because people are ignorant, but because people like me don't spell check and I doubt anyone grammar checks.

But then again, I've learned to be more tolerant (mom was a legal secretary so you know I grew up being edited all the time), because my spouse loves to write "do" when don't is what he means, or "aren't" when are is what he means. He's also a horrific speller. It's amazing how really smart people can't write nor spell. lol.
 
Randi,

You are correct...technology and language are considerations. And spell check is not full proof (I often type "not" instead of "now" - really confuses my message! :rolleyes2:)

But I will take the opportunity to chime in on paragraphs that go on for 20 lines or more!

They are impossible to read. With the volume of posts, I need to speed read them. I can't speed read if every word is jammed in together. So I tend to just skip them entirely.

All to say if you want to get maximum response to your posts, please try as best as you can, with your technology and langauge barriers to handle basic grammar rules as best you can.

You will get better and more responses from your posts.
 
Ohhhh come on! It's a message board not the SAT's for goodness sakes. If it bothers you that much don't read it or reply. I work with a lot of people who are ESL. This board is a cake walk. Besides the majority of the time I'm replying from my phone so for the fact it even remotely makes sense is a miracle. I've had some auto-correct fails that thankfully I've caught before hitting send!!! :)
 
:lol: Linda!

Yeah, some of us are kinda anal and old fashioned this way. I am 50 years old, after all....I was not taught text talk in school! :rolleyes2:

But you are correct, I can choose to ignore them and skip over them, and frankly I mostly do.

And that's unfortunate, because I know that I'm losing out on learning from certain threads. And I think, I might have something to contribute too, to threads that I stop reading simply because they are most unreadable.

Are we off track here? Probably, but it did start with the "tic" vs. "tick" discussions....tomatoe/tomato
 
Back
Top