New puppy with our 3 year old.

Thanks, thought I'd better just check though!

I think adult Shelties are pretty good at adapting their style for a puppy - the puppy is more likely to be the one without much self control. I've had to supervise play with other puppies more.

Here's a video of my 5mth old playing with the 7yr old and then my old girl. She lays down for my old girl.

I couldn't agree with you more Caro. Piper was so incredibly accommodating to Finnie when Finnie was young. I'd never seen Piper play with Riley the way he played with Finnie!
This video of the two was taken just one week after Finnie came home.
 
It took awhile for Sandstorm to warm up to Minnie, but he is ten yrs old. He pinned her to the ground a few times, but would never hurt her. I'm pretty sure they love each other now!!I think it's the best thing we could have done for SS, to get Minnie. His new purpose in life. He's slowing down a lot, doesn't want to excersize much, but they play every day, chase each other, etc.
 
Riley didn't get along with Finnie the way he did with Piper but I wonder how much discomfort he was in at that time and what effect it had on his behaviour. Finnie came home in April 2018 and it was in September of 2018 Riley started having issues with his hind end that we later discovered was the cancer. He was very mean to Finnie, he put him down many times to the point I wouldn't feed them in the same room and even then I'd have to watch closely. With Piper Riley had the patience of Job.
 
Do I have to worry when our older Sheltie has his tail raised when our puppy wants to play?

A raised tail is just a sign of alertness so no, you don't have to worry. Your dog is just signaling the puppy that he's watching and ready for what the puppy is going to do next. If the ears were flat, teeth showing or grimacing, or hackles raised, that would be a bad sign but it sounds like your older dog is just getting ready for play.
 
It took awhile for Sandstorm to warm up to Minnie, but he is ten yrs old. He pinned her to the ground a few times, but would never hurt her. I'm pretty sure they love each other now!!I think it's the best thing we could have done for SS, to get Minnie. His new purpose in life. He's slowing down a lot, doesn't want to excersize much, but they play every day, chase each other, etc.
The puppy has been the best thing ever for Della, although Della is probably not the best thing for the puppy (bad habits). Della has someone to run with in the backyard and they chase and wrestle and play, I hope it continues as the puppy gets older.

Do I have to worry when our older Sheltie has his tail raised when our puppy wants to play?
Actually Della stands erect with the puppy and that's her way of egging her on to play.
 
Back
Top