Nightime anxiety

Katherine, I'm very familiar with sundowners as my mother has Alzheimer's. I had no idea that dogs can get dementia or experience sundowners.

My mom is on an anti-psychotic. I don't know what they would give to dogs. The only thing I can think of that you may not already be doing is leaving lights on at night and possibly the TV with something kind of monotone in nature.

If anyone knows if dogs can take melitonin (sp?), you might try that as well.

Good luck!
 
Katherine, I'm very familiar with sundowners as my mother has Alzheimer's. I had no idea that dogs can get dementia or experience sundowners.

My mom is on an anti-psychotic. I don't know what they would give to dogs. The only thing I can think of that you may not already be doing is leaving lights on at night and possibly the TV with something kind of monotone in nature.

If anyone knows if dogs can take melitonin (sp?), you might try that as well.

Good luck!

Yes that is a good thought. I have used it for different anxiety disorders mostly thunder phobias. Would help with sleep. COnsult with your veterinarian regarding using it as there are drug interactions and side effects that must be considered with each dogs health history.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

I've ever heard of sundowner's so I'll need to look that up.
 
A small breakthrough ??

Is Capers crate trained? Maybe she'd feel more secure if you put a crate beside your bed. It should be just big enough for her size with cozy blankets inside and something covering it to make up a sort of den. Maybe if she has a comforting place that she feels safe in combined with the medication, she won't be so anxious.

Thank you so much for this suggestion! Capers was crate trained, however when she was approx 5 mos old I gave up on the wire crate, as she suddenly became very anxious to escape it at bedtime (whining and seizing the wire door in her teeth and rattling it).

She was unhappy the minute we arrived home last night. I gave her 2.5 mg of valium, then set up a pop up crate with the door flap tied back and a soft nest bed inside; and started throwing bits of cheese in the crate. (Senior crate games !).

As I was getting ready for bed, she went in the crate and settled for 15 minutes or so --- no panting, no trembling, no following me around, no "escape" behavior. The minute I turned the light out, she left the crate and retreated behind the headboard. However, the good news is that her anxiety was minimal and she settled down quickly.
 
Thank you so much for this suggestion! Capers was crate trained, however when she was approx 5 mos old I gave up on the wire crate, as she suddenly became very anxious to escape it at bedtime (whining and seizing the wire door in her teeth and rattling it).

She was unhappy the minute we arrived home last night. I gave her 2.5 mg of valium, then set up a pop up crate with the door flap tied back and a soft nest bed inside; and started throwing bits of cheese in the crate. (Senior crate games !).

As I was getting ready for bed, she went in the crate and settled for 15 minutes or so --- no panting, no trembling, no following me around, no "escape" behavior. The minute I turned the light out, she left the crate and retreated behind the headboard. However, the good news is that her anxiety was minimal and she settled down quickly.

What about keeping the crate closed for the night? She apparently seemd happy enough to go in and stay in. Also, what about a night light close to the crate? Just thinking out loud.

Best of luck! It must be wrecking havoc on your own sleep routines!
 
Our dear old Collie Lassie would get the anxiety paces, too. My sister used to come downstairs and sleep on the sofa bed so Lassie would have company. I agree -- a crate by your bed could provide so much reassurance.
 
Back
Top