Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Non-Chemical Flea & Tick Treatment

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Ann, Sep 3, 2012.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Pulled 2 embedded ticks off of Lexi on Saturday. Disgusting. We have only ever had to pull one off of them before.

Granted she didn't have the ACV on, so I'm going to be diligent about spraying her if she's going to be hanging outside with us (she was out in our yard the majority of the day). Hopefully that will be enough (we also use Revolution and I don't want to double up chemicals)...

Selena Wohlslagel likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    New Tick/Flea Formula

Someone just gave me a new and "improved" natural recipe for flea and tick repellent that they swear works so well you can see the fleas drop off the dog dead if it has them. I haven't tried it yet, but here it is for anyone interested:

Mix:
    8 oz. warm water
    4 oz. apple cider vinegar
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 t baking soda

Mix all together in an open container as it will fizz. Put in spray bottle and spray dog daily or as often as needed. Brush through coat.

3. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, I'll give this a try the next time I take the pups hiking. :smile2:

4. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    Sounds good to me, I'm all for natural alternatives. Thank you.

5. famous seamus

famous seamus Forums Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2011
    new jersey
    natural defense against ticks and fleas

Ugh the ticks are bad this year. So as you all know Harper Lee has Lyme disease, she is being treated.

She is on Comfortis, it works well for her. I hate giving either dog chemicals but with the Lyme out there I have to be on guard.

This year I am using diatomaceous earth in the yard. I didn't use it last month and look what happened!

Ann I like what you use and have had success with those sprays but this year as last we are going with the DE just because it is tick city here.

Also, if you rub a little food grade diatomaceous earth into the dog's fur they are good to go and it has been tried and true for me and my girls.

Drawback: It will dull the coat and so dog's who show will not sparkle and shine.

Positive: You can still sprinkle it in the yard and it will do the job. Yard, bushes, anywhere your puppies and you go. Read up on diatomaceous earth and you will be pleasantly surprised. It will not hurt if your dogs ingest it either.

Make sure you use just a fine sprinkle on the pups and rub it in well, don't kick up a storm of it, it is dusty. In the yard put on the lawn and wait a couple of minutes so it can settle before you let the dogs back out.

If it rains, the DE will still be there when it dries back up again.

Hugs for a tick free summer for you all. Ticks are yucky!!

Kate

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Thanks for the reminder, Kate! I spread DE in the dog pen too! It really does help. :smile2:

7. HolisticFurMom

HolisticFurMom Forums Regular

Nov 7, 2012
    Seattle
    We don't use any chemicals due to our dog having Lyme and not wanting to put any more strain on his organs. Lyme tends to inhibit the body's ability to detox. It really isn't fair to even begin to expect a healthy liver to be able to handle toxins that burn humans hands upon touching it. The majority of animals that have Lyme were on a preventative. -- nothing stops these bugs.

Also, for anyone who removes ticks, ALWAYS keep the tick so if your dog comes down sick witin 2-4 weeks you will have the tick to make testing easier. And just become a dog is bitten, or a human, by a lyme carrier doesn't mean they'll show symptoms. A healthy dog with a good immune system should be able to keep the spirochetes under control. This is why you see many animals testing positive at routine check ups. It doesn't mean you need to treat, it means you're dogs immune system is working and to make sure you keep supporting it!

But we use a lot of things natural things for ticks/fleas and haven't had fleas in three years. We have brought fosters in several times with fleas and our dog and cat never catch them so my methods work for us rather well.

Like mentioned Diatamacious Earth for the yard, and if a current infestation we will apply it. We use lots of essential oils from tea tree oil to citronella and the oils combat ticks/fleas. We make all our own sprays just Googling and Keep the grass cut short helps. Brushing every night and taking the time to look through their fur is helpful. Adding Apple Cider vinegar to their water helps tremendously. We mix in fermented garlic juice for their immune system and they claim garlic helps too.

If you want to go the natural route, it just takes more time and trying out the things that work best for your dog and your area, but in the end, your animal will fair much better without those horrible poisons! Best of luck!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  8. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks Ann for the info. I think the bugs are going to be bad, we had a mild winter here. It was reported watch out
    for the ticks there will be plenty.

Good info from you also FurMom

9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Learned a few things here, thank you for sharing.

10. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    It really partly depends on where you live, and what your lifestyle is like. Every single person who lives here in my area who has tried natural prevention has come to the same conclusion - it is too warm here, fleas and ticks thrive year round, and the natural remedies are simply not effective UNLESS you are willing to put them on your dog 2-3 times a day - which is just not practical for anyone who holds down a job. And some people live in apartments so they do not have control over the yard. Just something to consider.